- advertisement -

questions I should know the answers to...second child

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by somanybakers, Nov 2, 2008.

1. somanybakers

somanybakers Approved members

Hey everyone. my son is "celebrating" 5 years this weekend. I remember well the symptoms. However, my youngest child is starting to exhibit symptoms too. I just can't remember how long they took to come to a head.

So my little guy is going to the bathroom a lot over the last 2 days and drinking a lot too. But not the constant that I remember from he 1st. His sugar was 151 this afternoon and after a nap it was 120. Not all that high really so I am wondering if i am imagining the frequency or maybe hyper sensitive to it. I know the symptoms must build but of course I have no idea for how long. Any thoughts on how long it would be before it shows for sure? Oh, no ketones.

2. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

I'm so sorry to hear about symptoms in your other child. Are you certain his hands were clean when you checked and there was no food/juice residue on fingers? I would certainly contact the pediatric endocrinologist to express your concerns. Document the symptoms, bg #s etc. If your child has diabetes, you'll want to prevent the presentation of with extremely high blood sugar and ketones.

3. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

I'm sorry you are seeing symptoms with your nonD child. I think the time frame of onset really varies a lot from child to child. I would keep track of how much he is drinking and how often he is peeing. And anything else that seems out of the ordinary. I would also do some random bg checks and write those down.

Hopefully you are just nervous b/c it's your other son's D anniversary and just feel like he's going too the bathroom too much.

4. Hockeygirl

Hockeygirl Approved members

Hi, my son, second to be dxd, was dxd last year. He came home from work with a headache and drank a huge glass of water. On the way home from work he asked my husband to stop and get him a drink. So, I said joking ,let me check you and he was "hi", no ketones, believe it or not. We tested again aft. washing hands and it said "HI" again. It was that quick.
    I hope you child doesn't have it. But at least you are on top of it already. Good luck.

5. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I hope your little guy does not have D:( I don't know how long it takes to present itself...Bu, if he were my child, I would give him a bunch of juice wait a little while and test him. I couldn't stand the not knowing

6. somanybakers

somanybakers Approved members

Thats the first time I've laughed all night! I'm almost there!

Thanks for all the posts. I am watching him carefully and will probably call the ped. in the morning. I'll let you know any changes. I'm trying to convince myself it is nothing...:(

7. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

The 151 is alarming. Could he be coming down with something? I know BG can be elevated with illness, though I'm not sure how much.