- advertisement -

Questions for Ping users

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by CassiesMama, May 17, 2011.

1. CassiesMama

CassiesMama Approved members

Cassidy should be getting her ping in the next month here and I was just wondering how loud the alarms are on it. Should I get a baby monitor so I can hear it at night if it goes off or will I be able to hear it from down the hall and under a ton of covers. Also how are the insets do they kink alot or are they pretty stable, do you use 6mm or 9mm. Also do you need extra stuff to make them stick good or will they stick just fine on there own. Thanks guys

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

The alarms are not very loud, but then they don't go off all that often either. I wouldn't think a baby monitor would be work it. I can count on my hands the number of times my son alarmed for something and it has been over 4 years.

My room is next to his and I can hear the alarm. I would imagine that you wouldn't hear from down the hall.

My son is quite thin and needs only the 6 mm insets. He hasn't had a lot of kinks, especially when the site is in the stomach. Inset isn't the only one to use, you can always switch if need be.

The sites stay on well by themselves, but my son uses IV prep to help them adhere during the summer. There are lots of products on the market to use.

3. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

The alarms aren't very loud. We don't get alarms often, so I don't worry about hearing them. I also check throughout the night, so would proberly catch a problem if I missed an alarm.

We use the 6mm, and my son is very lean. We have never had a kinked canulla (hope I didn't just jinx myself), and we don't use anything extra to hold the site on. My son is very active and spends hours in the pool or ocean in the summer and he hasn't had a site fall off from that. (yet)

4. selketine

selketine Approved members

I don't know if you'd hear the alarms with a baby monitor - they are not super loud. We always got up and checked him in the middle of the night so that helps catch problems - and now we have a cgms - so it would catch highs due to a set malfuntion, etc.

It is possible to have a set go bad and the pump would not alarm for this - so there is no way to know unless you check overnight or have a cgms. As much as I advocate pumping and love it - this is a downside that must be mentioned. You could put your child to bed fine, the set becomes faulty - and you child wakes up DKA. So I encourage at least one middle of the night check and having a blood ketone meter handy so you can respond swiftly to any ketone issues.

You might also consider starting out with a steel needle set - like Rapid D's, etc. There is no cannula to kink.

I hope you enjoy pumping!:cwds:

5. CassiesMama

We check during the night already so I dont think that will be too much of a problem then when it comes to alarms. I will also have to ask about the blood ketone meter since we only have urine ones.

6. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

The Alarms wake me up, But i'm the one wearing it=) a baby monitar is a goody idea but it doesn't alarm that much. As for sites, I found that for me the angled ones kinkt alot. I switched to the straight insets and now I don't have much of a problem, I think they hurt less to. Good luck, what color is she getting?

7. CassiesMama

she decided on a green ping :D said it matches tinkerbells dress color in her mind :D

8. mmc51264

mmc51264 Approved members

Zach got the green Ping this time :D
    We don't have much of an issue with anything that would set off the alarms. He has had one for almost 4 years and usually it is during the day when he was active. Mostly needing to be re-primed.
    Good Luck!!! We LOVE our Ping.

9. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Cassidy should be getting her ping in the next month here and I was just wondering how loud the alarms are on it.
    If you are in the same room an there isn't too much noise, it's audible. The only alarm we generally get is that the cartridge is low. I will do a set change the night before if I sense we will run into the problem during the night to avoid the alarm.

Should I get a baby monitor so I can hear it at night if it goes off or will I be able to hear it from down the hall and under a ton of covers.

No. The baby monitor won't pick it up (unless it's under the covers with her), because the body and blankets muffle it.

Also how are the insets do they kink alot or are they pretty stable,

No, insets don't kink a lot. However, you may have times when it doesn't go on properly and the cannula will kink. That's why it's imperative to test frequently after a set change if the first reading is high.

do you use 6mm or 9mm.
    6mm, Abby is 10 years old.

Also do you need extra stuff to make them stick good or will they stick just fine on there own.
    We do because Abby is active. We use SkinTac as a barrier wipe, then put the set on. Unless she swims a lot, it shouldn't be much of a problem.

Just to add, in 5.5 years of pumping, we've only had the alarm go off once at night. Unfortunately, it was after our last check, so she was without insulin for about 4 hours. If you feel better about having a monitor for piece of mind, go for it.

10. CassiesMama

Wendy thanks for your reply that is really great info for me. I am still a ball of nerves about starting this new journey in our D care regime but thrilled that Cassidy is so very happy about it. Just found out from edgepark that the pump should be here by monday at the latest.