- advertisement -

questions about pumps....

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by vanessa22, Aug 2, 2011.

1. vanessa22

vanessa22 Approved members

I am wondering how long after being diagnosed did you start the process? Did you let your child decide or did you decide for them? What is the begining process like? Is it debilitating for them in anyway?

Brielle is already asking to get one. My cousin has one and Brielle has seen hers and knows she doesn't need to get shots anymore (very appealing to her right now). The endo said wait at least 6 months before we will discuss it but he did sound pro-pump. Any info you have would be great!

2. sarahconnormom

sarahconnormom Approved members

Connor was 6 at dx and I pursued a pump almost immediately. At that age I did not give him a choice. I simply told him this is what we are doing because I think it is better for you. He was pretty easy to get on board with the idea. I did allow him to have a huge say in deciding which pump he wanted. He chose the MM522 and we were both happy. He was dx 12-17-07 and our pump start was 4-11-08, just shy of 4 months after dx. We now have the Revel 723 with CGM. Our endo didn't really want to discuss a pump for a year, 6 months at the earliest. That did not work for me so I convinced her otherwise and had it in less than 4 months.

There is a learning curve involved with the pump but it is not debilitating in any way. If anything it has allowed Connor more freedome.

3. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Our insurance company dictated some of it, we were ready to start almost immediately but there was a 6 month wait per insurance protocol. I'd go ahead and start the process moving as it sometimes takes some time.

For us the pump start was rather difficult, his basals changed hugely from shots to pump and it was a tough time to get there, but it's worth it, no doubt.

I do think it is important to fully understand the MDI process and have things very stable before you make the switch.

My son had been diagnosed 9 months when he switched.

4. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

Our endo office has a 6 month policy, insurance didn't care at all. We started the process at 6 months (october) and ended up starting the pump at the end of December.

5. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

We waited about 6 months

We waited about 6 months - started talking about it around 4 months.Our 6 month mark was in the summer. I knew I would need some time to get adjusted where I could be home with him after pump start.

Even though lots of people go straight to the pump, I only worry that if you've never done shot protocol and calculations, you would be in a loss for what to do in case of a pump emergency and you had to give a shot.

Just my two cents. I don't think 6 months is a magic number.I felt ready at 4 months, but 6 months was convenient for training. Some insurances require 6 months, so be sure to check.

6. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

I started the pump 2.5 years after being diagnosed. I was very hesistant to something attached to me. But my endo said I would be a candidate after the first follow up appointment.

7. Herblu1

Herblu1 New Member

We were blessed that our endo offered the pump upon our first visit as long as insurance approved it. Our nurse told us that could take months and yet they approved it within 2 weeks. So at her next appointment we took her Pink Ping with us and had our class. Our daughter wasn't 100% sold on pumping at the first visit until they brought another pumper to show her his pump, talked to her a bit and than she was SOLD.

8. L101418

L101418 Approved members

I started asking about pumps almost immediately. The CDE said 6mo to a year (I think they wanted to get to know us or more bluntly if I would "get" this diabetes thing). We started at 6 months so I must have passed the test. I appreciate the 6 months on MDI to learn and calm down. It took about 6 weeks from the first class to actually start pumping insulin but this was mostly because our endo starts many families at once and that's how the schedule worked. My girls were 11 and 14 so they had all the choice to pump or not pump. Since they were the ones choosing we all three did saline trials on two different pumps so they could push the buttons. I only asked that they choose the same pump and luckily they ended up liking the same one! That could have gotten ugly. If I had a younger child I would have not given them a choice.

We had a good pump start but I was scared and it was almost like starting over. Lots of sleep loss for me, no real impact on the girls except joy. It really makes their life easier. daughterR had some misgivings about infusion sets showing but neither seem to have a problem carrying the pumps. To start we had a group class where we met the 3 different pump company reps and they gave their pitch. We then decided to do saline trials on two. We decided on a pump, I told the CDE, she told the pump rep, next day they called me to tell me insurance went through and the final out-of-pocket cost, 2 days later we had the pumps and 3 days later the girls were pumping. It really was very little work for me because the pump company handled all the insurance stuff. I'm glad because a short time after dx I had called our insurance and they had said pumps were not covered which freaked me out. But the endo and pump rep knew what they were doing and it was no problem.
    Eeesh - sorry so long

9. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Kaylee started pumping 3 months after being dx, and while I didn't give her a choice in getting a pump, I made it into something she wanted.. it was 'exciting' for her, and in turn she wanted to use a pump, also, cute little pump pouches helped make that transition... it didn't bother her in any way, still doesn't bother her (most of the time).. She typically forgets that she's even wearing it.

10. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

4 months after dx for us. At first, our insurance wouldn't approve until 6 months, but we appealed and won. It was so great for us because we were having a devil of a time getting the numbers down in the early morning. The pump was liberating, not debilitating in any way! It did take us around 7 weeks to feel as if we had overcome the learning curve...but nothing was scary...just frustrating at times to learn the best techniques for inserting the infusion sets and getting the basal amounts adjusted correctly.

11. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

My son started pumping 7 months after dx. He is 9. He decided he was ready and picked which one to go with. Pumping has made life "almost normal"-his words. :)

12. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Others will have a better perspective on your questions, but I thought I would chime in, since I am still so new to pumping that my impressions are quite fresh.

My son was diagnosed 8 months ago at 31 months, and we started pumping 5 months later. We go to a very pro-pumping clinic, and they were willing to talk pumping from day one. The process as ridiculously easy. We went to our regular appointment, selected a pump, and had them fill out the paperwork. The next day, Medtronic phoned us to say we had been approved, five days later, the pump arrived (on my son's birthday--what a present!), and twelve days later our trainer come to our house to do set-up and turn-on. 18 days in total! I suspect this is not the norm, though.

My son did not have a choice--I believe he was, and will be for some time, too young to understand and make informed choices about his care. If he had absolutely hated it, we might have shelved the pump for a while, but that was not an issue. He was bothered by it for 24 hours, then he was totally won over, despite a badly-place infusion site that hurt him every time he bent over for the first three days. Now, he shows it to everybody, and he wants nothing more than to give himself a bolus (thank goodness for the lockout feature).

The first few weeks were incredibly tough. His numbers were all over the place, and I felt like I had lost all control. I used to check him at night on very rare occasions, and suddenly I was up all the time, never knowing what to expect. I thought several times each day that I had made a mistake in switching to the pump. I felt like I was smart and committed enough to make it work, and yet nothing I did seemed to help. Our trainer kept reassuring me that it would all work out, and she was right. By about the third week, we could handle things, and by the end of the first month, we were starting to feel some confidence. We'll see--we have our first post-pump clinic visit tomorrow, and I fear that our a1c will have gone up thanks to the lengthy learning curve, but I am optimistic that it will go back down by the next appointment.

It has not hindered him at all. His pump is in a pouch and is out of the way. Tubing generally stays tucked away, and infusion sites do not typically bother him (on the rare occasions that placement is "ouchy," I give him the choice to redo it, but he has only said yes once). The freedom that being on the pump has given him (and the whole family) is incredible. I no longer live life on the clock, and we no longer battle at the dinner table three times a day to get him to meet his carb quotas, though I know that a different MDI plan would have alleviated some of that stress. I don't think you could get me to give it up, even after 2.5 months.

Hope this helps!

13. namegirl

namegirl Approved members

My son started on his pump a little over 2 weeks after diagnosis. It was the best way to get the small amounts of insulin he needs, so our endo saw no need to wait. It's been and adjustment for sure, but we really like it.

14. Meredithsmom

Meredithsmom Approved members

Our endo recommended waiting 1 year after dx. We waited an additional 2 years. So 3 years after dx Meredith started pumping. She was 2 at dx, and is 5 now and seems to be able to understand what we need to do and she is glad that she no longer gets shots. Age of the child and your readiness should definitely be considered. We had a pump class w/an 11 year old. Halfway through, her mom said this was too much for her and they would wait to start until she (the mom) could handle it better. The 11 year old seemed to have a better handle on it than the mom.

15. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

I was thinking of the pump almost immediately after dx, as my adult nieces with D both have them. I do think it is important to understand MDI in case of a pump emergency. However, my son's endo kept putting me off visit after visit with no good reasons. Finally, we switched endos, and he started us on a pump immediately, a little over 1 year after dx. I did not really give my son a choice, but he saw his cousins' pumps and was very excited to have one as he loves gadgets of all kinds! He now wants a CGM...and we've been working on that.

There was some crying for the first couple of site changes, mostly from fear I think. After we changed to angled infusion sets, I think they hurt more than the straight, so we started using numbing cream, and that took care of the pain and site changes are just routine now. Site changes seemed to take so long to me at first, and I was sweating bullets worrying that I'd do something wrong. Now, it is also just a routine part of our week and doesn't take that long now that I know what I'm doing. BGs were very high at first, especially at night, for a while as the endo and CDE tweaked his rates downward. This did take a few months, and there were some times that I wondered if I did the right thing, but I never considered stopping. The freedom and greater control it has provided for my son is priceless. It is so easy at restaurants and when visiting others not to have to whip out the syringe and insulin vial...instead, we just push some buttons and let him eat.

Not sure what you mean by debilitating. If you mean pain, I'd say we might hit a painful spot 5% of the time...it is very rare for him to say ouch. Having the pump attached to him all of the time has never been an issue for my son and he has never complained. He was very proud of it when he got it and showed it off to everyone.

The pump is nothing but positive for us, and I would never consider going back to MDI, and neither would my son.

16. vanessa22

vanessa22 Approved members

Thanks for all the info... I hadn't thought about the insurance aspect of it all so I will have to look into that. My hope is to get her started with it within the next 6 months. I really want her to have it when she goes to kindergarten next year. Everyone tells me how life-altering it is (in a good way) so I'm excited to learn more about it.
    My cousin was dx at 18 months and had a pump about 5 months later. She doesn't know life without it and it doesn't impact her negatively at all and I was just wondering if that is the norm for a child, like my Brielle, who already lived 5 years without one to made that change.

17. mom2cjh

mom2cjh Approved members

My son was diagnosed at 6 years old and was on a pump in 3 months. Kids with diabetes seem to adjust quickly to most things...they have to...they aren't given much choice. We occasionally have pump problems but I know I would have a lot more complaints from my son if he was still on shots. In my opinion pumps make the "new normal" more like the "old normal".