- advertisement -

Questions about a night time low

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by lcblk27, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Swishing is probably better than not doing it at all but I don't think it is as good as actually brushing. But I am not going to wake her up to do that. Also, some people believe that getting their children's teeth sealed by a dentist also helps.

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

This is what worked for my son. He had 13 cavities when he first went to the dentist at age 4 (dx'd at 3). The teeth were sealed and he has had only a couple since then.

3. Ndiggs

Ndiggs Approved members

we asked our dentist about that, and he told us its unlikely to cause problems unless you are doing it several times a week. Still not convinced that this is true but yeah I wonder the same thing myself.

I will have to look into sealing, is that something that is done on adult teeth only or on baby teeth too?

4. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

I guess this has been derailed huh? How does one go about finding a dentist who is familiar with T1 and who won't give you a hard time about giving them sugar at night for lows? I was looking to switch anyhow, but now this is my concern in finding one.

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Yes on teeth sealing ;) And so far, lots of juice (through a straw which is supposed to help) during the night without any rinse and no cavities to date. :D But I suspect that you're either prone to cavities or you're not. I think the composition of the teeth, the acidity (?) of the saliva both play a role in a persons predisposition to forming cavities. I had zillions as a kid so my dd lucked out in the gene toss on this one ;)

6. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

What about setting a cup and bottle of Listerine by the bedside? No, I don't do it (I don't do anything but treat the low and worry about the effect on his teeth!), but I might consider it if he was older and if he actually woke up while I was treating the low.

Interesting question, though, and something I definitely think about, particularly when we are having a bad run of night-time numbers.

7. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

I would be afraid of my child swallowing the mouthwash.

8. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

That's most certainly my fear, too, but I thought maybe somebody with an older child who wakes up more fully during night interventions might make it work!