- advertisement -

Questions about a night time low

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by lcblk27, Nov 29, 2011.

1. lcblk27

lcblk27 Approved members

We have been dealing with high BG levels for a while now and havent had to deal with lows. Tonight, my son was playing quite a bit at an indoor playground.

I checked him at 10:00 and he was 71, unsurprisingly. I couldnt get him to stay awake long enough for his usual low snack of fruit snacks and didnt have any juice so he ended up getting a spoonful of honey. (note to self, pick up some juice boxes and wash the blanket I spilled honey on:rolleyes:)

At 10:30 he was 108.

So, Im wondering if he will need another snack. Thats a little low for bedtime but I dont know if his BG is going to continue to rise from the honey. How long would you wait to check him again and/or give another snack?

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

what does he usually do at night? drift downwards, stay even, or drift higher?

personally, on lantus, I'd want my daughter to be higher. But it all depends on what he does at night.

3. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

I'd recheck in an hour and if he isn't much higher, I'd give him something else, maybe some crackers or something like that.

4. lcblk27

lcblk27 Approved members

He generally drifts higher at night but I also upped his lantus a couple days ago too, so I hesitate to count on that.

5. wilf

wilf Approved members

If it were me I'd be testing again at 12:30 - you'll have a fair idea by then about where he's headed..

6. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

With upping the lantus a few days ago and extra activity I would give a few more carbs and see how it goes with more testing tonight.

My son will go low hours after activity.

7. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

Agree. And like you said you were going to, get some liquids like juice, or flavored milk (we prefer strawberry here,works fast). My son has a hard time chewing when I wake him so it's easier (for us anyhow) to have him drink something for a low.

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Generally speaking, honey tend to hit quickly, but to dissipate quickly as well so I would be disinclined to look upon it as a food that would sustain bgs. For an exercise induced low (which often hit hours later) I'd be inclined to use chocolate milk and maybe a cracker or two ( depending on the age and size of the child). ;)

9. lcblk27

lcblk27 Approved members

Thanks for the responses! I will give him a little more time and check him again.

And yes, definitely will be getting some liquids to treat lows. As I was hunting the fridge for something easier to give him I found pop but it was diet and then I found chocolate milk but it was low sugar, only 3g for a cup. lol, I just couldnt win.

10. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

One of my first dawning realizations of how strange life with D would be came at the hospital when I asked the Dr, " so, what? I'm basically going to have to keep crap food on hand?" I was stressed, but yes, I keep a ton of food on hand that I didn't before dx. Juice boxes, shelf stable choc milk, ginger-ale, both sugary and sugar-free ice pops, gatoraide, saltines etc etc. Strange new world - but always better to have it on hand than to need it and be without;)

11. lcblk27

lcblk27 Approved members

lol, Sarah, you are so right! I was chuckling a bit thinking "how many other parents wake their child in the middle of the night to force feed them fruit snacks?"

12. caspi

caspi Approved members

I have become a juice box hoarder. If I get below 2 packs (that are usually 8-10 boxes each), I must buy more, lol! :eek:;)

13. swellman

swellman Approved members

This is funny because I get the, more than occasional, "So you are restricting me?!?!?" interjection when I know that, if it weren't for D, he would get so much less junk food ... he has no idea.

14. MamaBear

I can sure relate to that! I recall being SUPER P.O.ed several years ago because my children were given pixie stix at daycare.:mad: And I have always had a special hatred for those and skittles. NEVER in my life would I have bought strawberry milk! And now those are the best friends in the world some nights!

15. lcblk27

lcblk27 Approved members

Yep, good call on the honey, at 12:30 he was back down to 84. At least this time I was able to wake him enough so he could eat something. And the rechecking continues. I didnt really need sleep tonight :)

16. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son never wakes up for the low treatment. For the past 14 years, he has gotten a juice box (and later bag). He happily sucks on the juice straw while asleep.

17. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

My daughter does this too.. never wakes up, sucks it down in about 2 seconds. During the day however, takes her FOREVER to drink a stinking juice box, lol.

18. Ndiggs

Ndiggs Approved members

Olivia loves fruit snacks. She can be sleeping and I can try and wake her up and I might as well be talking to the wall. Mention fruit snacks, and she bolts straight up in bed with her hand out, gobbles them down and I swear is back asleep before she hits the pillow.

Ah the things we do for our kids, lol

19. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Sorry if this is tangential but I wonder how much this type of thing (feeding our children in the middle of the night) contributes to the statistic that people with diabetes have a 2x greater risk of developing gum disease/issues?

I am sure part of it has to do with the actual physiology of having diabetes and the increased glucose in the saliva etc, but the other night as I was feeding Danielle ice cream at 2am (yes, it is a strange world we live in), I was thinking about it.

I do try and get her to rinse her mouth out with water if I do have to feed her in the middle of the night, but it is not as good as brushing.

20. MamaBear

I wonder that as well, and I really worry about his teeth and gums. :( I also have him swish with water, but I wonder if it really helps. :confused: