- advertisement -

Questionable lows?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by gerry speirs, Dec 28, 2010.

1. gerry speirs

gerry speirs Approved members

Miranda lately has been telling me she feels dizzy but after testing, sometimes twice to make sure, her number may be either ok or a little on the high side, 150-200 as an example. She's pretty good at recognising low's but this is strange.

Thanks

2. angiej

angiej Approved members

Alice went through a stage at about 5yrs when she thought she was low (and when tested was in range) but was either

1. dropping quickly (the dizziness might point to this) where 'hypo' was the word used to simply describe that she didn't feel right or
    2. she was hungry and confusing the signals her body was giving her.

3. serge28

serge28 Approved members

That's kind of weird, but we have the same expirience with our son. Our endo couldn't provide any specifics why that might happen. Sometimes when he feels low, we do see big drop. Other time blood sugar might go up a little. Sometimes it will go away after he eats couple grams of carbs or just sip of juice.

4. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

My son sometimes tells me his head hurts (not sure if it's a headache or dizziness) when he wakes up. That usually means he went low in the hours before, even if the waking up BG is ok.

Another culprit could be rapidly-dropping BG. My son will tell me he feels weird or hungry if that is happening.

5. nmco123

nmco123 Approved members

This happens to my son Colin (7) very often. He is awesome at recogonizing lows, however lately he will feel low and be 270 for ex the other day?! We have no idea why, or what causes him to feel this way and we dont discourage it bc it is SUPER imp to keep testing, but odd. Our endo has no real insight as to why this happens either :(

6. gerry speirs

gerry speirs Approved members

Thanks, our Endo says it probably means a rapid drop but I wanted to see if it was a common thing....

7. timsma

timsma Approved members

Sometimes, with young kids, the feeling of lows can get confused with the highs as they often feel the same symptoms as many can overlap.

8. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

This happens to my son. Our endo's team had no real answers either. He drops and rises at a dramatic rate and it was actually our school district nurse who suggested to me that he feels it as he is rising or dropping. He gets dizzy and/or head achey, but tests in range,then the next test time he'll be too low. I think the district nurse is right.

9. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I often feel low when I'm high. On the CGMS I can see that it happens after meals just as I begin to drop.