- advertisement -

Question.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by haleysmommy8, Feb 23, 2012.

1. haleysmommy8

haleysmommy8 Approved members

My question is does your child's bg drop during or right after exercise? If it does, does it drop a little or alot? I know some are like a few hours after so I am curious.
    Also, do rotate the pump to tummy and any other area? Do you get the same results? Like the bum and tummy? Thanks:)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  2. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Depends on the exercise. For my daughter, with anything competitive or exciting, I have to watch her over the course of the day. But leisurely riding her scooter will drop her like a rock within 20 minutes.

Oh, for your edit, we use arms and stomach (pod) and I usually have to adjust a bit because the arms will give us lower numbers.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'm not a child, but as a teenager and an adult I have always dropped a lot during exercise and not too much afterwards. I drop worse during exercise if the pump site is in the area being exercised (e.g. running drops my BG A LOT if my site is in my leg).

4. mysweetwill

mysweetwill Approved members

My son drops hard and fast with even the smallest amount of exertion, during exercise, not too much after. A half hour gym class can drop him up to 100 so he eats uncovered carbs before, pops smarties during, and often has to eat uncovered carbs after as well.

5. jbmom1b2g

jbmom1b2g Approved members

We did a science fair project for my son. It was interesting 30 mine of sledding dropped Taylor fast but 30 mine of bike riding did nothing to her.

6. Lee

Lee Approved members

My daughter will drop like a rock after non-competitive exercise like the trampoline or swimming or even a game of tag. Something like a b-ball game or almost anything that requires sustained exercise of around 1 hour drops her at night.

7. Rcj176

Rcj176 Approved members

Welcome Haleysmom!:cwds:

Jesse is the only one that really drops. And what happens to him is when he is cycling his blood sugar goes up into the 300s during the middle of the ride (around 20-30 mile is the middle) and then about 2 hours afterwards is when he fully drops. I had to learn in the beginning not to give him a correction while we were riding because it does come down afterwards. Adrenaline.

8. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

9. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

For us, it is inconsistent. Sometimes during, sometimes after, sometimes it rises. The is no rhyme or reason. It can be the same activity at the same time and we can have a variety of reactions depending on the day. That probably wasn't helpful:rolleyes:

10. manda81

manda81 Approved members

For my son, anything more than about 30 mins of activity and he's going to drop, so we usually have a juice box or a couple of tabs and take them once we realize that he's not slowing down anytime soon, essentially pre-treating a low.

For pumping, we only use arms & tummy, but see very little difference in his numbers with those 2 sites, I'm not sure about the tush, as he tried that once for about 2 hours before ripping it off, so I'm no help there.

11. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

We are on MDI so I cannot answer that question. But as far as dropping, my son does drop quite a bit during exercise, and continues as much as an hour after.

12. buckmarko

buckmarko Approved members

During exercise he doesn't drop. He actually runs a little high. I don't correct because he will start dropping about an hour after exercise and continue to drop throughout the day. I will let him have uncovered carbs. We are on MDI so I also cut back on his basal on days he has sports.