- advertisement -

Question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by r'sister, Jul 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. r'sister

r'sister Approved members

I posted this in a different area, thinking I may get more info here -

My husband has type 2 diabetes.

My daughter had gestational diabetes requiring daily injections. But she hasn't had any problems for 2 yrs.

Yesterday my husband's meter was acting up so he asked my daughter to check her blood to see if it was him, the meter or the strips.

With meter #1, her blood level was 375. With meter #2, it was 340. This morning it was 245 when she woke up.

She just went in to see her dr, her blood was 204. She hasn't had anything to eat since dinner last night. When they checked her urine, there wasn't any sugar in it.

Her dr says she doesn't have diabetes, but maybe a hidden virus causing the high bg's.

Does this sound right?

My daughter just woke up and her bg was 286. Her dr started her on a long acting metformin last night which she took with dinner.

She got the results of her blood and urine tests last night, gotta love Kaiser's online info.

Urine - negative for glucose, protein, or bacteria. Positive for red blood cells.

Her A1C was 6.8.

ALT and AST were both at the high end of normal.

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Hi,
    Illness can raise blood glucose levels so that could be what you are seeing. As for the difference in meters, there can be a 10-20% variance even within the same meter, so that is not surprising to see a variance between meters. Hope she feels better soon.

3. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

With those numbers and a high A1c, it sounds like diabetes to me.

4. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

Agree. I think she should get a second opinion. and A1c of 6.8 is around and average of 160 (correct me if I'm wrong :eek: ).

5. Lee

Lee Approved members

Any A1C over 6 is a diagnosis for Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes.

I am sorry that your daughter is going through this! Also, if she was undiagnosed - why in the world would her Doc give her a Diabetes Drug?

I would have her see another doc, honestly. She needs a cod to refer her to an Endocrinologist!

6. betty6333

betty6333 Approved members

Please have your daughter see an endocrinologist.
    It will be important for the endocrinolgist to run the appropriate blood work.

c peptide, and antibody tests should be run, so that an appropriate diagnosis can be made.

The insurance company can give you the names of endocrinologists in the area who specialize in diabetes.

Keep us posted!

7. r'sister

r'sister Approved members

My daughter also has PCOS. Metformin was prescribed to her years ago for the PCOS, but it made her so sick all the time that she quit taking it. I'm wondering if the dr didn't see it on her chart and represcribe it to bring down the bg.

She had gestational diabetes while pregnant with her baby, now 2.

What is puzzling to me is the lack of glucose or ketones in the urine.

8. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

I also suggest she see a different doctor as soon as she can get in. With those kind of numbers and a higher A1C there is something going on.

Best of luck

9. betty6333

betty6333 Approved members

There is nothing confusing about no sugar or ketones.. all that means is that she probably doesn't require an ER visit, but needs to be seen promptly.
    Good Luck!

10. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

The PCOS and gestational diabetes together puts her at even greater risk of type 2, which it looks like she might well have. Other people can give more information on spilling sugar, but lack of ketones isn't surprising if she's in fact producing insulin.

11. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

Some people don't get ketones easily. We have had some illnesses when he is in the 200's and 300's for days with no ketones.
    In over 2 years since diagnosis Charlie has only had trace ketones one time.

12. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

In regards to the ketones, I don't think ketones are nearly as common with Type 2, which, based on the PCOS, gestational diabetes and insulin resistance is probably what your dd has.

13. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

The newest guidelines are that anything above 6.5 is diagnostic for diabetes. Your daughter should see a board certified endocrinologist ASAP.

14. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

As a reminder, only a doctor can diagnose diabetes. We cannot do that over the Internet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.