- advertisement -

question re numbers for newly diagnosed

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Jillian06, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Jillian06

Jillian06 Approved members

My 4 yo DD was diagnosed last month.

She is currently on 1.5 units NPH for breakfast, 1.5 unit Lantus for dinner and Novolog on a sliding scale

Her numbers in the am range from 48-85, her lunch numbers range from 64-110, her dinner numbers are from 70-120. Her bedtime numbers rise from 180-290. Her 2 am numbers range from 147 - 260. We aim for 45 gram of carbs for dinner.

I am concern at the low morning numbers and the high evening numbers. We have reduced the insulin and rarely need the Novolog because of her low numbers.

Someone suggested that NPH is causing the low/high numbers. DD is in preschool without nurse, so we are stuck with NPH.

Our last visit with the endo basically gave us free reign to tweek the insulin but I am so unsure what to do.

I would appreciate any feedback/suggestion.

Thank you!

2. LittleGuy'sMom

LittleGuy'sMom Approved members

My ds was on a similar regimen at dx but used levemir instead of lantus. It looks like your dd is getting too much lantus. The NPH would have worn off before the next day's breakfast so it's probably not the cause of the a.m. low numbers. When my son was on NPH, it wore off before dinnertime. I'm a little surprised that your endo is advising you to tweak your dd's dosages so early after dx. They really should be holding your hand at this point, especially with your dd having lows regularly. The lows need to be addressed before you tackle the highs.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I think that even if the endo gave you "permission", if you don't feel comfortable then you should feel free to defer back to the Dr.

I also always recommend Ragan Hanas' book, "Managing Type 1..." and find it to be enormously helpful in understanding how insulin works and how to adapt your regimen to best suit your child.

4. wilf

wilf Approved members

How much Novolog is she getting at supper to cover the 45 g carbs?

5. Jillian06

Jillian06 Approved members

Her Novolog sliding scale based on her numbers before meal starts at 101 with 1 unit. Most nights she does not get the Novolog.

6. zoomom456

zoomom456 Approved members

Is there someone at preschool who might be willing to learn dosing of insulin? Depending on where you live, some states allow non health personnel to be trained by a nurse, CDE etc.Also, if you do this, you will probably be financially responsible to have a CDE do training.

7. wilf

wilf Approved members

Having 45 g carbs for supper with no Novolog to cover them is why she is going high in the evenings.

You need to get instructions regarding a carb ratio (so that you are bolusing for carbs eaten).. :cwds:

8. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

are you correcting the higher numbers in the middle of the night?