- advertisement -

Question for type 1 adults

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by KeltonsMom, Jan 19, 2008.

1. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

Have any of you felt low, but when you tested it showed that you were 84 which is not low?

I was squirming in my seat a few minutes ago and felt low, and tested and it says I am 84, I didn't do anything and waited until I felt worse and re-tested and I am now 90 but feel like I am low..Grrrrr I do not know why :eek:

My numbers on my low carb diet have been below 118 for the past few days, and I have felt great until this morning when I had the 84 and the shaking, nervousness, and blurry vision

2. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

YES, happens quite a bit to me. I don't know why -- sometimes I think I'm just really tired. If I feel low, test, and am not low, I usually have a big glass of water and a piece of cheese or something. I'm bad about eating enough protein and drinking water -- so that really helps.

Last night I got home, checked my bs and it said 51. Carson was w/ me and he said -- wow do you feel low. I felt COMPLETELY FINE!! So I retested and it said 66. So still on the low side, but I felt NOTHING!! Which is weird because I'm like you, sometimes I feel really low and I'm 100.

3. KeltonsMom

Okay good, I thought I was in the beginning stages of loosing my mind again..I will eat some cheese and drink some water and see if this helps any..I am shaking pretty good right now..

I had a 46 on my meter and felt fine, then re-tested and it was 40 and still felt fine..So weird:eek:

4. lilituc

lilituc Approved members

Yep. That's why I always test when I feel low, just to make sure.

5. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

Definitely. If I feel low at 84 though, I'll treat it like a low, since it usually means I'm dropping quickly. What number I feel low at depends on how fast I'm dropping, how hungry I am anyways, how tired I am, etc.

6. clb1968

clb1968 Approved members

Yeah, all that with me too. When you are dropping fast, you can feel low, even if the number has not reached low yet.

7. Richard157

Richard157 Approved members

If you rarely have tests as low as 84 then your body has not adjusted to that level yet. That means you will feel low at that level until a later time when you have had many tests in the 70's and 80's and then you will feel great at 84. Some diabetics even feel hypo at that level and many diabetics call that a "false hypo". People with an A1c under 6.0 (a nondiabetic level) have a blood sugat test average less than 108. If you had that kind of average then you would normally experience many tests in the 80's and 90's so that 84 would not feel low at all. I have had Type 1 for 62 years and I currently have an Aic of 6.1. Prior to that I had A1c's below 6.0 for several years. I do not feel low unless I am 70 or below.

Some of the newer glucose monitors give blood plasma readings instead of whole blood readings. Blood plasma runs higher than whole blood. I have a Relion meter from Walmart and it gives plasma results. My older Freestyle meter gives whole blood results. Therefore the Relion shows higher numbers than the Freestyle. 84 on the Relion compares to 75 on the Freestyle. Therefore You would definitely feel low at 84 if it is a plasma reading because it is actually a 75 on most meters. I don't know what kind of meter you have but I thought I would throw this in as another possibility.

Richard

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  8. ccarrol4

ccarrol4 Approved members

I used to feel low when I was 80-90. When I asked my endo about it, she said it was because I had been running higher than my body was used to and that when my blood sugars were normal, for a longer period of time, I would not feel the lows that soon. She was correct.

Have you been running higher than you usually do?

9. kel4han

kel4han Approved members

Yep, I can feel low at 80 or 90. But usually I feel high because of thirst and fatigue and I am perfectly normal! I have had alot of lows lately, so then I end up not feeling low at 60,50 not until 40! -Sheesh-

10. rickst29

rickst29 Approved members

I never feel Nuthin....

I just go straight from 'OK' to 'Horribly Confused' to 'Passed Out'. Before CGMS started taking care of me, I used to have big problems.

11. munchkingirl

munchkingirl Approved members

Here's a little bit different view:

I totally have that happen to me a lot - but it usually means that I WAS low and that's the number from it coming back up.

I can be at 40 and just feel "kinda" low, but not really at all. After I eat something and it starts coming back up I feel a million times WORSE and feel like i need to eat and eat and eat to stop feeling worse (which of course means insulin for a high...), then I just feel crappy for about an hour and a quick "nap" usually helps, but who has time for that??

Anyways, I totally agree with everyone else too - If you're used to being higher than that and never hit that number, that'll feel like a bad low as well.

;);););)

12. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

You know I read this forum because my son is an adult. I'm so sorry you all feel this way. My son has lows way too often - he never complains about them so I don't get a sense of what it's like except for what I read from y'all. Reading this thread just makes me so sick to my stomach and I'm not even feeling the lows.

Diabetes sucks, and my heart goes out to you. {{{hugs}}} from cyberspace.....

13. KeltonsMom

I now have the Contour meter made by Bayer..It can tell me that I am in the 80's and I will still feel low..I have found that if I re-check in 10 minutes I have dropped to 50..

fast forward to yesterday..I felt fine, it was my two hour after meal check, I poked my finger and the meter told me I was 40..I did not feel low at all. My Endo has me eating every 3 hours to prevent lows, the past few days it hasn't been working.

I am waiting for my next appointment so that they can tell me in person that I test positive for the GAD antibodies, they told me on the phone but want the Endo to talk to me about it and to see what treatment options I have. So, now I know, but I have not had the 'official' diagnosis from this new Endo..

14. KeltonsMom

Hugs from cyberspace are ALWAYS welcome here..:)

15. hypercarmona

hypercarmona Approved members

Same here, although it's been years since I've been in a situation where I've needed help. It's the reason why I treat anything in the 80s like a low (esp. after meals and before bed) with enough carbs to bring me back into the high 90s/low 100s or higher depending on the situation. Or if I'm dropping too fast from a high (something along the lines of >3 mg/dl per minute drop) I know I need to eat a snack, even if I'm still slightly high, or else I'll go low. I also don't depend on how I "feel" to try and discern lows or highs, because more often than not I'm wrong. It's better for me to test frequently and try to prevent lows, than treat them as I have them.

16. pumpgirl

pumpgirl Approved members

I'm the same way. I have felt low before, checked, and only been like 70-80. However, I do the same as you, and treat it as a low, just to make sure. I just don't eat quite as many carbs as I would with a regular low, for fear of rebound, which I tend to do quite often quite easily.

17. Richard157

Richard157 Approved members

As your body adjusts to having a lot of lows you will begin to not feel low wth the levels you have stated. If you get better control and have very few lows then you will low in the 50's and 60's. I begin feeling low when I am in the low 70's.

Richard

18. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I don't think what people are describing here is so much a matter of increased hypo awareness due to running high, but an "odd" event in which they feel low higher than normal because of a fast drop or other circumstances. I've had times I've felt fine at 40 and low at 84.

19. Bob @ Joy of Diabetes

Bob @ Joy of Diabetes Approved members

Wow

I agree with everyone here....I think a little bit of what each of them has said is probably going on.
    I would guess that it is your stomach EATING ITSELF from your lack of carbohydrates and its yelling HELP ME HELP ME IM STARVING MORE CHEESE PLEASE..............just kidding. But low carb diets always seem to do strange things to my wife as she gets going on them.

I have the same problem sometimes with the feeling of or not feeling at all
    Highs and lows.(Wow was that the strangest way to say that or what, the Nuns would be whacking my nuckles right now if they had read that!)

Peace....