- advertisement -

Question for Tslim users

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Janimal, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Janimal

Janimal Approved members

Strongly considering this pump but have heard the resevoir refill and priming takes a long time. This would not be a happy thing for my kid. How long would you say it takes and is it pretty easy to avoid air entry?
    Thanks

2. lmf1122

lmf1122 Approved members

It takes longer than the Animas pump we used previously, but it also has a 300 ml cartridge, so we only have to fill it about every 7-8 days. But still, not that long, less than 5 minutes total (from taking the new cartridge off until priming is finished). We've not had any problems with air bubbles that I'm aware of.

3. mom2ejca

mom2ejca Approved members

It's slightly longer than our old Minimed, but it's not something I would weight very heavily on the con list when you are comparing pumps. I put the insulin away, clean up the trash and get the tape ready while it's priming the tubing, so it's not like you have to stand there babysitting it the entire time.

You might find this interesting: http://integrateddiabetes.com/pumping-ease-of-use-matters/ Integrated Diabetes did a comparison of the time it takes to complete a bolus and Tslim was at the top of the list for fastest. If you are concerned about time, to me bolus time is more important given the number of times a day a bolus is given compared to how often you change a cartridge.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Have you (your kid) pumped before?

5. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Pros and Cons. Refill is slightly longer, yes. But the benefits far outweigh that. In the whole scheme, it's a minor inconvenience. What seems to be a big deal really isn't in the whole.

6. Janimal

Janimal Approved members

Thank you all for the feedback. He is using an Animas but doesnt use the calculator. He figures it in his head and does a quick bolus. Unfortunately he learned that from us. Good to hear the site change time is reasonable. I really like the Snap but my son doesnt do well with Novalog (got bumps under his skin with bad absorption) and uses the steel needle set, which they dont have yet. So probably going Tslim.
    Thanks again.

7. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Yes the priming does take maybe 1-2 minutes longer but that's when we do the actual site change. I don't mind because I love the vacuum technology in the cartridges that gets rid of all air bubbles. We've rarely ever had an air bubble and have had much more consistent numbers on the Tslim than with the piston cartridges on the Cozmo.

8. Mimikins

Mimikins Approved members

I think the fill tubing process only takes about 2.5 minutes for the 16" tubing. Typically, it's long enough for me to get the Keurig all fired up (I do my changes in the morning and need my coffee), throw out all the garbage associated with site changes, and tape down my site before I need to stop filling the tubing.

9. AH41514

AH41514 New Member

Could you say more about the Novolog bumps under the skin and bad absorption? My daughter has been having a lot of highs and we are sometimes noticing bumps when she does her injection. Thanks!

10. Janimal

Janimal Approved members

It was with Humalog and pump sites. He would have high numbers after a day or so. When we removed the sight, it was a firm, raised area under the skin. Pea sized. We switched to Novolog and the issue cleared up