- advertisement -

Question for pumpers...what size tubing?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by minniem, Nov 22, 2011.

1. minniem

minniem Approved members

So we have decided to make the transition to the pump. We are very excited and my son has chosen the minimed 523. My question is: what size tubing do you recommend? The CDE told us to get the long length so that if it fell to the floor it wouldn't rip the pump site out. But it seems like a lot of tubing to me.

What size do you use for your CWD?

Thanks!

2. Andii

Andii Approved members

We've never had a pump site rip out in that way and she's dropped it plenty of times! Maybe they could send you samples of different lengths to try. Good luck!

3. tiger7lady

tiger7lady Approved members

My son uses the shorter tubing because he's much more likely to get the tubing caught on a door handle, etc than to drop his pump to the floor. Most of the time he's wearing the pump in his spibelt and either takes it out to dose or uses his meter to dose so he's only dropped it once in the 6 months he's had it. That one time it did pull the site out but if he had a longer tube I'm positive he would get it caught on things all the time and either pull the site out or at least tug on it which he hates.

4. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

I think our CDE recommended shorter tubing, but my DD found that she preferred the longer tubing.

Maybe order a couple boxes of sets in different tubing lengths and see if your son has a preference.

5. dvane

dvane Approved members

Ethan uses the shorter tubing. We did try the longer one but found it was in the way all the time.

6. haleysmommy8

haleysmommy8 Approved members

We use the smaller it is always in the way. It still gets wrapped around stuff.

7. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'm a fully grown person (well, 5'6") and use short tubing. It doesn't hang around and get tangled as much, and it means that if I drop the pump it stops falling before it hits the ground. The only time that it's difficult is when my site is on my arm and the tubing doesn't reach my pocket easily.

8. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

My daughter has used both, but uses shorter tubing now so it's less to wind up/sticks out of her pocket or pouch. She uses too sweet boutiques' pouches, or just sticks it in her pocket. We use the Minimed Revel

9. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

My daughter uses the shorter tubing.

10. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

It all depends on where we put her site. If it is in her arm, we use the longer tubing. If she wears the site around her middle, we use the shorter tubing. DD wears her pump in a pouch, so falling to the floor isn't a concern for us.

11. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I always use long