- advertisement -

Question for My mother in law

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mommyofocean, Apr 5, 2006.

1. mommyofocean

mommyofocean Approved members

My mother in law has diabetes type 1 but she is dying of a brain tumor and we are having some problems getting her sugars at a regular again but she is starting to eat a bit more food than she was just recently my question is What insulin scale would you use for and Adult with Diabetes. She is on humilin R & humilin N she was only getting slow acting which i think is the N and she was getting about 28units in the morning and about 16units at bedtime. We need to start giving her more of the fast acting and not sure of the scale to use and her doctor is gone for the week. My sister in law is just guessing and it would just be nice to try something else. I also have a young daughter who has diabetes type 1 but she is only 5 and the way we deal with her illness is way different then the way my mother in law is used too. So I don't know what advice to give her. If anyone has some advice that would be great!

Carolyn

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I would start on the low side -- 20 grams of carbohydrate to 1 unit of fast acting insulin. Test to see if it works and make adjustments.

3. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

I suggest you work with a board certified endocrinologist. Also, the book Using Insulin iby John Walsh is very interesting although it may not cover NPH or R.