- advertisement -

Question for Medtronic 530G users

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by dpr, Jan 7, 2014.

1. dpr

dpr Approved members

We've been pumping with a Medtronic pump for over 2 years and love it. After our last endo appointment he wants to put my daughter (8 y/o in 1 week) on the new 530G. I talked with one person using the 530G and she was having lots of inaccuracy problems with the Enlite sensors with false alarms all night. She ended up turning off the low threshold feature and alarms. Since then I have read a lot about the Enlite cgm and it seems like there are a lot of problems like that with it. We get up every night a 1am to check her and we're hoping to get more sleep and not deal with false alarms all the time. I'm considering staying with her old pump and going with the Dexcom since every one raves about it. What are your thoughts and experiences so far?

2. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We have used the Enlite for over 2 months. We have had good accuracy I have thought. It hasn't missed alerting for lows or highs that I have seen. We were on Sof sensors before that . He was on Dexcom and Navigator before that. My older son is on Dexcom still, he has been on it since 2009. Each morning when they calibrate they are always very similar in how far they are. We have had a few false lows because of laying on it but my older son has that with Dexcom too some. We used the Enlites with our our Guardian for the first two month to see if I liked it. Doing so is off label but as long as you have prescription for it you can do it. Enlites will also work with older Medtronic pump that connected with Sof sensor. Again off label you just need prescription for it. Only difference when you use ENlite off label you will have to do a restart on day 3 and day 6 just like a sof sensor. We only go 7 days with MM sensors. If you want the sensor to last much longer, then go with Dexcom. We normally get 14 days out of each sensor. I could restart and recharge to get MM sensor to last longer I just have not bothered, want to make sure his skin is okay . Younger son had allergy issues with Dexcom that could not be resolved totally with Tough pad or other things. We have the 530g just have not started on it. I have it running connected to the sensor though.

I will say Dexcom seems less picky about times when you want to calibrate. Dexcom also does not stop giving readings if you do not calibrate every 12 hours like MM. So saying that, Dexcom is a more simple easy to use sensor. I actually really like the new insertion of the Enlite. If you ever used Sof sensor that is saying a lot! Enlite stays on better for us.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We've used both the Medtronic CGM pre-Enlite and now the Dexcom G4. Our recommendation would be the G4. I miss the integrated records, but that's it. Dexcom is so much easier to use & the range is fabulous. It also has adjustable volumes so that it can be heard without a separate unit. Having the receiver separate from the pump is also a winner when parents want to see what's happening and the child doesn't want to be patted down.

4. vanderty

vanderty New Member

We just started on the 530g in December. My son is also 8 y/o. We were on the Animas Ping and switched over the Medtronic 530g with CGM and My Sentry for the same reason you are looking to. The first night we started on the system the alarm for Thresh Suspend went off 10 times. The CGM said he was 58 and his BG with finger stick was 119. This process repeated 5 times before I called Medtronic at 4 AM. They couldn't tell me how to resolve the issue. This was my biggest problem. The 530g is off label for children under 16, thus Medtronic will provide you little to no support. That is my biggest beef. Also the My Sentry alarms more often than not at night b/c of a weak signal between all of my son's blankets. Again, we are off label b/c the My Sentry is not approved with the 530g at this time. So again, no support. I was not told any of this by the rep that "sold" the product.

So I give you my opinion to not switch at this time. It is not saving me much sleep.

5. RomeoEcho

RomeoEcho Approved members

This appears to be an individual body chemistry thing. With sof-sensors I was getting 18-25 days routinely, and as long as 28. I've never had a dexcom last past 10 days. I prefer dexcom in every other way, but I don't get the longevity I used to.

6. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Wow, wish you could help me on that. That is my one complaint with the M sensors. We are on Enlites now on younger son. I get 7 days if I am lucky.

7. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Dd is on day 11 of an Enlite, although I usually change out each week. Never got a sof sensor to go past 6 days.

Do not have the 530G yet, but very happy with Enlite's accuracy with Revel.

8. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I'm getting good accuracy with the enlites as long as I don't calibrate at a bad time. I like the CGM component of the system.

And so far, the pump has low suspended me when I wasn't as low as it thought- like a week ago, I woke up and had been suspended for four of the past six hours. The CGM said I was 42, my meter said 72. But if my meter said 72 after all that suspending... it was probably a good thing it suspended.

9. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Wow! When do you film your commercial for Minimed
    ;)? (That would be a good commercial.) But seriously, that's pretty amazing.

10. Ndiggs

Ndiggs Approved members

We are getting real good results from the enlites, more accurate for us than the Dexcom was. Only had one false suspend (sensor said 42, BG was 109) but it was after dance class and she had a tight fitting shirt over the sensor that put pressure on it and Medtronic said that could have caused the false low reading.

11. NeurosurgeryNP

NeurosurgeryNP Approved members

I am not on the 530 g yet but I am currently doing a trial with the Enlite on my Reel off label. Have to say, I am pretty impressed by the accuracy as compared to the Dex. Pretty on. In fact so much on, I put the Dex away for a few days while this sensor lasts. The thought of going integrated again once I get my pump upgrade in April makes me giddy. I would order sensors now except I have a few boxes of Dex sensors left yet. I know it varies for everyone, but the MM sensors definitely agree with my chemistry.

12. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

My younger son just had his training today on the 530g(we got the larger 730g). Going great. We were already using Enlite's but this makes it easier to calibrate with link meter. Accuracy has been great . Using Guardian as night monitor because don't want to pay for My Sentry right now

13. MyBoys'Mom

MyBoys'Mom Approved members

I'm sorry - I don't want to hijack - I have a question for ecs1516. What exactly is the Guardian? You say you use it at night as you don't want to pay for a MySentry. We don't either. We just got the 530g. Is the Guardian something other than the graphs and warnings on the pump itself?

14. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

The Guardian is MM's stand-alone receiver. It basically looks just like their pump, but there is no space for a reservoir, and its only function is to receive CGM readings. I don't know that they are selling it anymore.

15. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

We used the guardian in addition to the alarms on my pump but silenced the pump alarms at night. The guardian hung on a string over a small table right outside my bedroom door. It was set so the screen would never time out so you could see the BG at all times. My parents had a video baby monitor (yep, I had a baby monitor until I was 17 :rolleyes:) that pointed at the guardian and they could view the BG on the screen of the video monitor in their bedroom and also hear the alarms. Kind of like an old-fashioned poor man's mysentry.

The actual guardian is just the CGM part of the pump. We also used it during sports and water activities during which I would remove my pump but keep the guardian with me. I think my parents paid for the first one but then insurance paid for another one we got as back up. You could probably get a used one from someone who switched to dexcom since I'm pretty sure Medtronic isn't selling them anymore.

16. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

It looks like they still sell them.
    https://www.minimed.com/treatment-and-products/guardian-real-time-cgm-system
    But if you are wanting to use it like me you only need the receiver. Not the Guardian package which probably comes with a new transmitter. You could call Minimed and see if they will sell only the receiver. You still need prescription . If you try to explain how you are using it they will clueless. .
    Again you could get a used receiver. They are built like tanks and I have never had one go bad.
    I would really like My Sentry but don't want to pay for it at the moment.

17. MyBoys'Mom

MyBoys'Mom Approved members

18. rs14hubbard

rs14hubbard New Member

how did you get the Mysentry to work with the 530g? ours does not!!!