- advertisement -

Question for 10 year old boy who is not yet diagnosed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by share32, Mar 28, 2006.

1. share32

share32 New Member

Hello , I have a 12 year old son who is a type 1 diabetic and has been for three years. I also have a ten year old son who lately has been displaying signs of diabetes. He has been sick the last five days and is usually very healthy. He began telling me he felt better after having sugar , he was very red in the face and red ears so I thought I would check his blood. It was a 6.8 which is 122 . I realize this is still at normal range but over the three years as my other son being a diabetic we have checked my youngest son periodically and was always a 5.3. I started watching him more closely and at times after excersizing he was shakey and not feeling well so once again checked and it was 4.1. We had the glucose tolerance test today. He was a 4.7 to start out with and a 6.6 at one hour and a 6.7 at two hours after . I know this is within normal range but I am so concerned as my oldest son started out the same way. Is it possible his sugars are fluctuating so much because he is ill. ? What are the odds of two members of the family with diabetes.? Today after the test he was a 6.7 he ate a bun and an hour later he was a 4.2 . I checked the meter and it is fine. I gave him juice and 15 min later he was a 6.8 . Is this normal.. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks

shari mom of riley 12 and tj 10

2. Boo

Boo Approved members

Unfortunately the odds of him having type 1 diabetes are significantly increased since he has a brother that has been diagnosed (though I am guessing you already know that). I am glad you took him for a fasting glucose test. Don't drive yourself crazy with the blood sugar numbers, especially considering that he hasn't been feeling well lately. See what the doctors say about his test results and keep a close eye on him for any other developing symptoms....and keep your fingers crossed!