- advertisement -

Question About Using Both Omnipod and Medtronic or Other "Corded" Pump

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Turtle1605, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

I remember there are some of you who use both the Omnipod and the Medtronic or Animas pump depending on what you are doing and what time of the year it is.

Can you tell me when you have found it most useful to switch over to the Omnipod? I'm assuming that it is during the summer while swimming a lot, etc. but I'm just wondering if there are other times you find it more suitable than the corded pump.

Also, can you tell me how you arranged to be able to purchase the supplies for the Omnipod while also purchasing supplies for the corded pump? Will insurance cover both? I'm not really familiar with the Omnipod. If I remember correctly, Omnipod sometimes offers a "cut the cord" promotion rate which allows someone to purchase it at a very low cost, but then what supplies do you have to purchase?

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

We do have both the pod and a mm pump. Honestly we don't use the pods much anymore, the fact that they are tubeless is the only advantage for us...we use them for swimming, the water park and things like that...but because she usually goes low while swimming its not very helpful. Overall we like the features of the MM pump better that the tubing really isn't an issue. I think it's been over a year since she's worn a pod. I love the fact that we have both and can switch when we want to tough.

As for insurance, we bought the PDM out of pocket through their cut the cord program, and have only ordered one 3 month supply of pods...pods are covered through our prescription program while regular site are through DME, so I don't think they'd ever even notice if we were always ordering both. But the time I ordered the pods I did not order the regular sites. We will order more pods soon and when I do I won't order regular sites.

3. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

We have and use both, but we are almost exclusively podding now. DD likes to switch to the MM pump when she doesn't want the pod to show, like in a swimsuit. Lately, though, she's just kept the pods. The benefits for her outweigh the size!

4. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

Interesting. Thank you!

5. roo'smom

roo'smom Approved members

We only use the pod during summer, specifically for camps where sand is involved. Having dd responsible for unhooking and hooking back up while at the beach is less than optimal - she will inevitably end up with sand in her site, and then she's in a pickle b/c she won't give herself a shot. It's just easier to slap a pod on her and temp down her basal for activity. We would probably use them more often than we do, but they really irritate her skin after a couple weeks of use.
    We used the cut the cord program to get the pod. I decrease our site order for whatever amount of pods I order and haven't had a problem with insurance covering either one (knock on wood!!).

6. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

We have the pods and the mm. I wanted dd to be more independent over the summer and be able to go with friends to the pool and didn't feel comfortable leaving another parent responsible for a 6K piece of medical equipment when she has to unhook. I just didn't want to deal with a lost pump. A lost pdm is easier to replace.

I paid for the pdm through the cut the cord program and script insurance (medco) sent us pods at the regular mail order script price. Be sure to try your scrip ins. rather than your regular dme.

7. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

we just ordered the po with "cut the cord", you ay $199.00 for the PDM, they get an RX and have insurance approve it but it does not go thru insurance. I can get the PODs thru Rx with a $15 copay for a box of 10, it goes thru like a pump site.

I see it being usefull for camping/fishing/swimming in lakes, when we most likely will be fairly dirty. We are un-tethered so there is allot of unhooking and hooking up when snacking or feeding an activity. I also see it usefull for a sleepover because of us being Un-tethered, we could switch to full basal on the pump instead of Lantus at night in order to avoid a shot while there.

The new pods are so much smaller and that is why we are now going to try it out.

8. moco89

moco89 Approved members

You can't drop a Pod while it's attached to you.

You also can't scratch the screen, like you can if you trip over a curb (I destroyed two pumps screens that way.)

It is less of a theft target. (Who would want to steal the PDM?)

You don't end up with other people's refurbished products as pumps, if your Pod fails.

It's more convenient overall. (Less maintenance)

Nobody has to know you are diabetic. (No pump tubing for people to-rudely-stare at.)