- advertisement -

Question about the Salter Scales

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by MommaRetta, Feb 7, 2011.

1. MommaRetta

MommaRetta Approved members

I have a friend who is contemplating buying a scale. What are the pros and cons about the smaller one? I have the 1450 and she LOVED what it did. However, she was wondering if the Salter-To-Go is at least as good. She realizes it doesn't have all the 'bells and whistles' that the big one does.

She was trying to find reviews for it online and was having trouble. Help?

I look in the Diabetes Products section of our forums and couldn't find anything.... or maybe I didn't look back far enough?

Thank You for your help,
    Dawn

2. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

I have the travel one and we hardly ever use it. The button pushing is different than the 1450 and more difficult to use. It also beeps several times during the weighing process which is not cool in a restaurant for us! I've used the 1450 so much at home that we just guesstimate carbs when we go out instead of taking the travel scale. If you REALLY need a scale when you go out, it's not a bad one, but definitely not as good as the 1450.

3. Leece

Leece Approved members

We have the 1450 for at home and the Salter to go in the diaper bag. I really only like it as an emergancy scale. When using a plate on top to put the food on to measure it. It covers the number pad completely. I also find it is not as easy to use as the 1450. I would be very frustrated using the To-Go as my everyday scale.

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I basically agree with the above posters. It's not as easy to use as the 1450, but it's better than nothing. So, fine as a travel scale, but not what I would want as my only scale.

5. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

I definitely prefer the 1450 (even though ours is broken) -- I like the convenience of adding a food to memory and the travel scale doesn't do that. I also agree with what all of the pps have said, but it is better than nothing.

6. jules12

jules12 Approved members

We have both - I started with the travel and much prefer the bigger one. I do not travel around with a scale - it is not practical and he won't do it as a preteen - I can barely get him to stuff his pockets with glucose tabs and his meter!

The larger one is very handy and a regular plate can sit on it. It helped us to guess at his portions when he go out to eat.

7. MommaRetta

MommaRetta Approved members

Thanks Ladies, I printed your responses for Val and she says THANK YOU!

I never invested in the smaller scale. We use the Calorie King, internet and/or guess work... or a combination of the three and go from there.

For example:

Last night, we go out to eat at a icecream/hamburger place. Stephen gets a Cheeseburger, FF and a drink. He was high and so we gave a correction, 'guessed' with the food. We met friends there. And so an hour later, he had an ice cream cone. Gave insulin for that.........

Dah Dah Dah ...................... 2.5 hours later, he was 143! Oh yeah! I love moments like that! Makes up for the times that we don't get it right. Surely I am not the only one the celebrates little wins like that?