- advertisement -

question about the Ping....

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by CC'sMom, Aug 6, 2008.

1. CC'sMom

CC'sMom Approved members

What exactly is the Ping? A combo pump and CGM that is wireless? Is it tubeless too? So it would have a pod attached to the body? Thanks!! As much as I'm around here, I've seemed to miss this.:eek:

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

It's basically the the current Animas Pump, with a remote control that operates all functions of the pump and has a meter built into it. (It's a new pump, but I think the pump itself is essentially the same.) The CGM doesn't have anything to do with it - they're still working on integrating that.

ETA: There is still tubing. It's a traditional pump, with a wireless PDM like the Omnipod has. It would be super nice for squirmy little kids!

3. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

The OneTouch Ping is Animas' newest pump. It has a BG meter that communicates with the pump. (Looks kinda like the PDM that goes with the omnipod.) The meter can "ping" the info to the pump. Bolus and corrections can be "pinged" from the meter as well.

Take a look at www.animascorp.com.

4. CC'sMom

CC'sMom Approved members

Thanks!!! It's really high tech looking! I think it will definitely be nice for little ones.

5. TracieandJim

TracieandJim Approved members

The only difference between the 2020 and the Ping is the remote and the fact that the food database is not on the pump anymore but on the remote instead.

6. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

Yeah to all of the above. I had one on at FFL.

I am going to write a review one of these days but there is much more interesting stuff from FFL to write about, like beating meters to death.

7. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Well, Bennett - we don't need the long version with the dissenting opinions and everything, but what's the decision:

2 thumbs up,
    1 up and 1 down, or
    2 thumbs down

8. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

I'm really excited to see this come out -- just a few months ago I was posting here wishing for something exactly like this. New R&D and competition is good for everyone. I wonder if Insulet had anything to do with "motivating" them to put it out.

9. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

Here. You should know me well enough to know I do the long version.

OK the short version. Go here but not about the Ping but it a better use of your time, way funny.

10. MrsBadshoe

MrsBadshoe Super Moderator

Short version here...

One up One Down. Pump one up, meter one down. The pump screen is great the meter screen sucks and you can loose it. Great for toddlers, so the parents can control and girls or ladies wearing a dress or clothing that it is difficult to dig into for the pump. Otherwise I don't see your normal everyday kid, teen or adult wanting to tote around another piece of equipment. More is less with my teenage boy. If he could get a meter smaller then the one touch mini that he likes he might switch. Lugging around a meter to work his pump that is the size of a regular one touch smart is not where it's at.

11. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

It took me about zillion words to say that but I did include pictures.... LOL

12. suzyq63

suzyq63 Approved members

Thanks for the review. We are just beginning pump shopping and the Animas rep will be here tomorrow. I'm really not sure what I want in a pump yet.

13. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

Feel free to ask questions of the group. There are a lot of real well informed folks here. Use CWD to help you but never loose sight of YDMV. Be your own advocate. What works for other lives may not fit yours.

I think it is very important for the pumping child to be part of and to buy into the pump that will be a part of their life. Sets are a huge part of that. Pumping is about life style not infusing insulin.

All the best in your pump quest.

14. nobodybutjustme

nobodybutjustme Approved members

thanks

thanks for the great reviews. My daughter was so sad that the timing was off and she could not get one . . . in a few months, her warranty will be up and she can get one for free, but right now, it would cost $600! I'm so thankful for a more 'realistic' evaluation . . .since we can't have it now anyway, it is nice to hear a few 'negatives'!!

15. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Thanks for the review.

When you go with the Ping, do you HAVE to control the pump with the meter, or is it "either or".

16. MyAngelEmma

MyAngelEmma Approved members

Nope, we were told that you do not HAVE to use the remote. The pump is fully functionable on it's own. They have taken the Calorie King data base off the pump and moved it to the hand held meter/remote though so you would not have access to that if using just the pump.

I think we will really make good use of the remote ourselves. Emma wears jumper dress uniforms to school (no pants or shorts allowed) so this will be a wonderful option for us since she can just wear her pump under her dress and use the remote to control the pump. As for losing it...she will just keep it in her D supply bag at school and only take it out to do BG checks and boluses. It is assuring to know that if it was to get misplaced she still would be able to control the pump without it.

17. selketine

selketine Approved members

The Ping website says you do not need the special meter to control the pump. You can manually do it all on the pump like you always have it looks like.

I am really underwhelmed with the Ping. I guess this would have been cooler when William was 2 and just started with Animas but not now. I agree with the Shoes - that meter is just gonna get lost. So...do I send it to school with him so we can keep the data all together? He is just 6 yrs old and will have to remember to drop it off with the health room every day. I could pick it up when I go to get him. I suppose the Ping would let you wear your pump somewhere (like your bra? Underwear pocket?) that might be more comfortable and you don't have to dig it out in front of your friends at lunch. Again....not yet an issue for us.

We'll probably end up with the Ping because William could probably use the lower basal rate increments still - and because our insurance covers it. For portability of a meter I think the Cozmo has that going on. We had the Cozmo rep out and he showed us their pump and the Navigator. I doubt our insurance will pay for either but we are going to start the process to get the Navigator.

Would the Dexcom be any better when they eventually link up with Animas? It seems like the worst of the CGMS options at this point (other than cost). Unless they upgraded it with predictive alarms and the like I would not want it. Ugh!:rolleyes:

18. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

Just curious as to why you think the Dexcom is the worst of the cgm options?

19. Seans Mom

Seans Mom Approved members

Katie Jane's Song

Thank you for the link to Katie Jane's Diabetic Song. I loved it, she did a great job. :D

20. TracieandJim

TracieandJim Approved members

The Animas rep we spoke with said the data would stay complete. If you manually enter a BS then you do so on the pump. You dont have to use the remote at all. When you download the data on to your puter it comes from the pump itself. When we get our Ping, we wont be sending the remote to daycare. The site says the replacement cost is $200 I think but the Animas emp. on the phone said $300. Either way not worth it so we will keep the remote at home for our convenience and not lose it!