- advertisement -

Question about price of pump

Discussion in 'Insulin Pumps' started by Abuchanan, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Abuchanan

Abuchanan Approved members

Makaela was just diagnosed last week so I know the pump is not an option at this moment. However I am trying to plan ahead financially.
    How much do pumps cost and does ins. cover any % of it?

2. EmmasMom

EmmasMom Approved members

You'll have to talk to your insurance company and find out what they pay. Every company is a little different, but most will pay at least 1/2 the cost, many will pay more.
    Pumps are about $6,000, but most will allow you to pay out the portion that insurance doesn't cover.
    Some company's pay at a higher rate for different brands, which can be a big price difference down the road since you will always need infusion sets and supplies.
    Another thing to consider is a pump company that will let you upgrade to newer models for a minimal fee. Insurance will only pay for 1 pump every 3-4 years, so being able to easily upgrade to newer better technology is a big perk.

Good Luck!

3. Abuchanan

Thanks that gives me a little insight! I am just trying to make sure I have all my ducks in a row :)

4. rickst29

rickst29 Approved members

"Typical" is 80% *AFTER* deductible has ben met

although lots of Insurance is NOT "typical", many USA employer-sponsored Health programs will cover a pump within the category of "Durable Medical Equipment", 80/20 after you've burned through the deductible amount.

Some Insurance has special discount arrangements with certain pump mfgrs, just like some insurance has special arrangements on certain brands of strips. So you want to get them involved pretty early.

That was real good advice about high cost versus "nominal" cost versus "probably free" upgrades. But don't go with a pump you DON'T LIKE just because it might cost less to upgrade in the future, DO try to get your favorite.

5. Abuchanan

ok thank you. I am sure once we get to that point I will have more in debt questions on which pump everyone likes!

6. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

I would call your insurance company and find out about coverage. Our durable medical coverage covers the pump and all supplies at 100% we do not have to meet a deductible. Or you could choose a pump that you like the best, submit the info and have the pump company do all the insurance work...I know that my sons pump company was able to find out answers about pump coverage faster than we were able to..they know all the right codes to request and such...good luck

shannon