- advertisement -

Question about Precision Xtra Ketone Strips...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MyAngelEmma, Sep 22, 2008.

1. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

2. MyAngelEmma

MyAngelEmma Approved members

Thank you so much! Any idea how to use a coupon when ordering scripts through Medco through the mail?

3. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

You'd have to call and ask if they accept them. In MA we can't use coupons for meds or related items if we have insurance, but I don't know about other states.

4. Emma'sDad

Emma'sDad Approved members

I've gone through 3 insurance companies since Dx. The first one paid 80%, so with the example above, I'd pay $90, so it's not far off of what was asked for you. The second one paid 100%!... but then we got bought out last month and had to switch to a new provider and I don't know what their coverage is like yet. For ketone strips, we only get 10 at a time. (looking back now, we should have sprung for the 10 boxes last month at 100%!)

So other than that, how is Emma doing with her pump?

5. bflohockeymom

bflohockeymom Approved members

I agree with the others. We started using them a couple months ago after all the suggestions I read on this board. My daughter prefers them so much more than the urine strips. I am happy to not have to fight her to "try to pee!" whenever she's got a high BG. I figure they lead a difficult enough life as it is so if this makes it even a little easier, it's worth it. Of course, that's easy for me to say since our insurance covers everything diabetes-related with no co-pays! (yes, I am realizing now how VERY VERY lucky we are!)

6. clb1968

clb1968 Approved members

I am an old time diabetic, used the pee on the stick for ketones for years.
    I now use the Precision Xtra Ketone Strips. I get mine true Aplus with the rest of my
    pump supplies and teststrips and since they accept what insurance pays as full payment,
    I do not have a copay on them. I get one box a month as a standing order.
    I have regular strips if I need them, but I like the meter better too.

7. Seans Mom

Seans Mom Approved members

I am one of the unfortunate that can't get insurance to pay for them. We have great insurance but they do not cover the ketone strips. So I've been buying them from a canadian online drug store for ~$33 for 10 strips, which beats the $54 I paid for an expired box of strips I ordered from CVS. :rolleyes:
    I still use the urine strips often, but the ketone strips are important for the need to know right now checks. This past Sunday morning, I gave Sean a correction @2:30 a.m., rechecked at 4:30 a.m. and he was sky high. His day and a half good site w/ great numbers had gone bad for whatever reason, blood ketones showed 0.8, I gave him an injection and started the site change, in the meantime he woke up and went to the bathroom, I checked w/ urine ketones which showed negative. This let me know approx. how long he'd had ketones. Meaning that 4 hrs. earlier he didn't have ketones, but he at that time had moderate ketones.
    Anyway, I'll keep getting them even though I'm paying out of pocket, I think while you're not getting the best deal w/ insurance, you're not getting the worst either. ;)

8. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

I would see if you could get a smaller quantity. I can't see even the biggest ketone queen needing 100 strips every 3 months! I think maybe 10 strips per month would be a little more sensible.

9. MyAngelEmma

Our copay doesn't change with the quanity. It is the same whether you get 10 strips or 100 strips a month. The copay is based on the tier the script falls under. SOOOO...I talked with our endo's office today and got them to rewrite the script for 300 for a 90 day supply. :) That way I will get 30 boxes as apposed to 10 boxes for my copay of $112.50. I am thinking 30 boxes will last me a long time and will be worth the copay.

We are changing to BCBS in January and I have no idea what the coverage will be. Maybe better, maybe worse. We'll have to wait and see but for I think we will have plenty of ketone strips now with the change in the script.

10. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Interesting how UHC varies from plan to plan. We get 4 boxes for $25. This is not going through Medco, but through a pharm.

11. MyAngelEmma

Yes, it is odd how plans vary but I know every policy is different even with BCBS. It just depends on which plan your employer decides to go with.

Our UHC plan says if we went through a local pharmacy our copay would be $45 and we would get a one month supply. How much we would get in a one months supply would be determined by the quanity the script is written for. It is a bit cheaper to go through medco and get a 3 months supply on all our prescription.

12. Jodi's dad

Jodi's dad Approved members

Our clinic is one of the best in th U.S. and they told ust to use nothing but the strips. And our insurance won't cover them either so our endo gives us all we need.

13. AmyMcCracken

AmyMcCracken Approved members

Check your policy to see if the strips can be covered through Durable Medical. If I use my pharmacy benefit I have to pay $35 but if I have them billed as Durable Medical I pay less than $10.

14. MyAngelEmma

Great idea but I tried that and they won't allow it. They said all my strips had to be billed under pharmacy not DME. :(

15. MrsBadshoe

MrsBadshoe Super Moderator

Ebay is great for stuff like this.

There has been an on going issue with these strips and insurance and the 8 count. I finally was able through a wonderful pharmacy tech get it straightened out. At the CWD conference Abbott had the boxes marked with info to try to get them covered. Call Abbott and see if the correct info helps your insurance company. It was a matter of having the correct NDC number. The pharamcies only have the number for the 8 count so it is covered.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  16. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

You could also try to get a hold of your local Abbott rep. I went to a diabetes expo on Saturday, found the rep and he gave me a 10 boxes of ketone strips. No problems or questions asked. He remembered me from last year and said that whenever we need more, just let him know. My insurance will not cover the strips.

17. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

Do you have a PPO insurance plan?
    If you do... go to www.aplusmedicalsupply.com, and call the number listed under contact us.
    Have THEM contact your insurance, and see if you can go through them. Ask THEM what your co-pay will be. I bet you'll be smiling!:D

18. MyAngelEmma

I wish I could use Aplus but I have already tried and been turned down by them. They are out of network as DME providers on our plan and they would have to eat our portion of the DME deductible that has not been met and unfortunately they are unwilling to do this because we are so close to the end of the year. I talked to the manager, Michael, and he said if I had inquired toward the beginning of the year they could have helped me. He said I said to call them back at the beginning of the year and maybe they could help but we are suppose to be changing insurance companies then to BCBS. I wish I was one of those smiling over getting supplies from A+ but unfortunately it didn't work out for us. :(

19. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

Please check your PM

20. sarahconnormom

sarahconnormom Approved members

We get the ketone strips through APlus at no copay. We get 2 boxes a month.