- advertisement -

Question about POD corrections.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Gsmama, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Gsmama

Gsmama Approved members

Question about POD corrections:

Giovanni tested HIGH last nite which is over 500.

When it suggested a correction it said 3 units.

Well his ISF at that time is 1:100 and his target is 100 so wouldn't his correction have been at least 4 units.

Why did it only give 3 units suggestion.

And when he came down to 464 about 1 hour later it was still using the 3 unit suggestion.

He didn't have any IOB because I had given 3 units via shot, but I put the original HIGH in to see what the suggested bolus would have been and it was only 3 units.

Is there a default setting that I need to fix regarding corrections? Our highest bolus is set at 6 units.

Thanks,
    Leslie

2. ashleesmommy

ashleesmommy Approved members

I thought i remembered somebody saying that a "High" could be 401 and up? I could be wrong? If thats true, then the correction would have been correct. However, his actual BG couldve been much higher than that.

3. Gsmama

Gsmama Approved members

Ours reads above 500 (or maybe higher) because the 2nd check after the shot read 464.

4. ashleesmommy

ashleesmommy Approved members

Oh ya, duh me! :) hmm...then that doesn't make much since to me either. Did u go back and make sure your settings were in fact what you think they are set at? Did you happen to check the breakdown (? Button) when it gave you the suggested correction?

5. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

"High" on the PDM does mean that BG is over 500 (p. 95 of the User Manual). It does seem like the suggested bolus should have been higher.

Does the target or ISF change based on time of day?

As I recollect, if the bolus exceeds the maximum you have programmed, the PDM displays a message to that effect.

If it was me, and I gave insulin at that time, I'd go back into "my records" and look at the entry for that bolus (by pressing the question mark, which will display the calculation used) to check what settings were in place at that time and whether the PDM was using any IOB. Not sure what will display if you did not actually give a bolus through the PDM at that time, however.

If there wasn't an entry, I guess I'd review the settings.

I'm curious as to what happened.

6. Gsmama

Gsmama Approved members

I will go back into the PDM as soon as I go back to my mom's house, where he and the PDM are. That's a great idea. We are so new to Podding (not pumping though) that I forget the obvious.

The first 3 units was thru a shot, but the 2nd # the 464, it suggested 3 units as well, so that's the one I will be able to look at, but for the HIGH, which I was just seeing what the PDM would say, it said 3 units also, but I did not put it through. I gave 3 units in a shot just to get him started and was going to give the rest thru the PDM cause I thought it would suggest more. When it only suggested 3 units I didn't do anymore and that's when I started thinking something was up.

I do go in to check our ISF at that time, I actually thought we were 1:80 but we switch at midnite to 1:100.

If I can't get a reasonable answer from the PDM I am going to call them tomorrow.

Thank you so much for answering, I do appreciate it!!

Leslie

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  7. Gsmama

Gsmama Approved members

Mystery solved:
    It was IOB, from just under 3 hours earlier. We are set for 3 hours and I thought we had cleared that window. I actually didn't think about the last bolus as it seemed so much earlier.

Thanks for your help!!

Leslie

8. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

This is why it's helpful to to press the "?" button before giving a correction, so you can see how the bolus is computed. Frequently, it doesn't make sense for IOB to considered.

9. Gsmama

Gsmama Approved members

Thanks. It doesn't help that we are newish to Podding and seeing our 2nd HIGH in almost 4 years, my brain wasn't thinking.

Thanks for all your help!

Leslie