- advertisement -

question about lows

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by angelhair45, Sep 30, 2008.

1. angelhair45

angelhair45 Approved members

My 4.5 year old son was diagnosed in August, and lately he seems to be staying low a lot during the day. For instance he was 117 at 8:30 am, and then in the 60's at lunch and 57 at dinner. He doesn't take insulin at lunch because he has NPH in the morning, but the problem is what to give him at dinner. I'm never sure if I should give him insulin to cover the carbs or not. Tonight he had 30 carbs, but he was only at 56. I know he will probably go high from the food, but if I give him even a half a unit he might go too low. Some days the only inulin he get is his NPH in the morning and his Lantus at night because he is so low all day. His carb correction is supposed to be 1 unit for 30 carbs, but we have been doing .5 for 30 carbs and even that is too much some times. So half the time if he eats 35 or less we don't give him any carb correction. He's been low a lot lately, but then out of the blue he was high all day yesterday, pretty much staying above 200 all day except for lunch, he was at 77.

I guess I'm concerned that his after meal highs will affect him in the long run, but he comes back down on his own, so if I give him insulin for his post meal high I will then go too low. Does that make sense? Any advice?

2. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Has anyone mentioned to you that he might be honeymooning? Tom was on NPH ONLY for over a year, and Lantus ONLY for 6 or so months after that. Still had some lows, because he was still spitting out his own insulin in dribs and drabs.

Something to consider.

3. angelhair45

We have wondered that ourselves, but the endo hasn't really given us her thoughts on it. If he was in the honeymoon phase, would his post meal numbers still go high? He's low most of the time, but he still goes high after a meal sometimes, but then he usually comes back down on his own.

4. cassie

cassie Approved members

The biggest thing that I had to be told over and over again is... You do not want to let your kid go low if you can. High is not good, but lows are just plain dangerous, especially if he is waking up low.

Do you see an Endocrinologist or just a regular doctor? Some Endos will talk to you over the phone if needed, at least I know mine does.

I would call them now and give them your numbers. We were calling ours once every couple weeks or more for the first year.

5. Ali

Ali Approved members

I would call and get directions from your Endo. Voice your concerns. Good Luck. ALi

6. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Can you define "high?" Some examples?

7. cassie

cassie Approved members

He hasn't given any thoughts on it at all? Not any way to correct insulin or saying maybe he's in a honey moon? Geez, I would change endos.

8. angelhair45

He's been pretty low all day. Low 100's this morning, 60's at lunch and 56 before dinner. Around 45 minutes after dinner he was 300, that was with no insulin.

9. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

He possibly is still honeymooning. His pancreas could spit out insulin at odd times, and you never know when its going to.