- advertisement -

Question about lantus...i'm clueless

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Turtle1605, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

My son is five years old...diagnosed 11/30/11. At diagnosis, he was put on 1/2 unit of Humalog per 12 carbs and 1 unit of Lantus in the pm. He was having way too many lows during the day and night so he was taken off Lantus all together and his Humalog ratio is now 1/2 unit per 18 carbs. Things were steady for a quite a while.

Moving along....his number during the day and night had been rising. Sometimes, he'd go to bed at 150 and end up around 200 to 220 at his 2 am checks and upon rising. Also, I couldn't seem to fight the higher numbers during the day 200-300 all of the time. So, his endo gave me the option of trying the Lantus again (she knows it makes me nervous).

We are now giving him 1/2 unit of Lantus at 8:00 p.m. It does keep him around 85-100 all during the night (which makes me a bit nervous since it is closer to that 70 mark than I am used to now) but all was well and his numbers during the day are usually between 80 and 200.

Today, was his birthday party (piece of cake, hotdog, etc.) we bolused accordingly at about 12:30 and at 2 hours after he was at 303 (which I expected because he's always high after cake, pizza, etc. because I don't yet trust myself to bolus more than usual for those pesky foods at the risk of going low) and at 3 hours later (with no more insulin) he was at 220 (which to me seemed good). Then before dinner at 5:00ish, out of nowhere...bam...he had tanked to 55.

I'm thinking that the 55 is an indication that the Lantus was still in full swing 22 hours later. So, it makes me a bit nervous giving him Lantus again tonight due to possibly stacking the Lantus.

Is that possible, or is it more likely that the cake, etc. made him high and then caused him to crash? :confused:

As always...thank you!

2. jessicat

jessicat Approved members

I would attribute it more toward the party and unusual food schedule/carb count. I usually find that the lantus does its damage over night like you were finding earlier. And when my 7 year old eats pizza we get crazy numbers even6 or 8 hours later. Once you give the next evening of lantus I don't think it will kick in right away anyway.

We have had the same experience as you several times. I too think the lantus is scarey when you change the dosage.

3. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I would attribute it mostly to his own insulin production, although it could be the Lantus. You can't stack Lantus- stacking Lantus is taking insulin to lower blood sugar that you already have insulin on board to lower.

4. Deal

Deal Approved members

1 unit of Lantus is as 'powerful' as 1 unit of humolog but it's action is spread across approximately 24 hours versus only 3-4 for humolog. So even if his basal needs were actually 0, which is unreasonable to assume, the lantus is only acting on 1.5 carbs per hour which is really too little to drive someone low.

My guess is that his pancreas is still working to bring his levels down to non-diabetic 'normal' ranges. Which is a good thing.

5. bryantfam

bryantfam Approved members

DS tends to tank like that after eating empty calorie foods like cake where it seems he burns through the sugar faster because it has no substance.

Lucky for me he doesn't care for cake!

6. lgouldin

lgouldin Approved members

At parties, most of the time there is a lot of running around, exercise, and excitement which would equal burning a lot of carbs...just a thought