- advertisement -

question about gummy candy to treat low

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Momto3, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Momto3

Momto3 Approved members

A couple weeks ago one of our school nurses asked me not to send in gummy bears because:
    1 - gummy candy is sticky
    2 - gummy bears are too slow acting to treat a low

We have used Swedish Fish candy a lot to treat a low with great success. I told her this and she told me to put gummy candy in water and see what happens. If it doesn't break down it's not fast acting. I didn't argue, I just told her if she'd prefer juice we'd send in juice instead.

I've never heard of this, but I'm still learning each day. I swear I've heard gummies, hard candies, pixie stix, etc... are all fine, just not chocolate candy because of the fat.

Any thoughts?

2. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

We've used them, too, and they worked quickly. I don't know. Interested in seeing what others have to say.

3. courtneysmom608

courtneysmom608 Approved members

Courtney uses fruit snacks almost every time with huge success and thats pretty gummy. She got so sick of juice boxes and these work very well for her and they work quickly.

4. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

Any sugary candy can be sticky :rolleyes:. If you want to send something else, jellybeans work pretty well.

5. Kayeecee

Kayeecee Approved members

Her challenge to see if it breaks down in water is only valid if you're treating someone on a feeding tube. Ever hear of teeth?

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I think they work fast enough, but personally, I avoid them because of possible dental issues. I'm not saying that my kids NEVER get gummies, but I prefer hard candy or tabs to treat lows for that reason.

7. Traci

Traci Approved members

We've used fruit snacks almost exclusively for 8 years without issue.

8. tonnia

tonnia Approved members

Saliva is NOT water. It contains enzymes that START breaking down the gummy before the teeth touch it. Then we have the mechanical action of the teeth. If it works for you at home then tell the nurse that she needs to use what your daughter prefers.

9. MamaBear

My son asked what I was reading a bit ago, I told him the subject of this thread and he was just saying exactly what you said about chewing, and the difference between water and saliva. He also mentioned other food items that would not break down in plain water. LOL I want to know why my son can figure this out, but the nurse cannot.:rolleyes:

10. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

For me, it is not the nurse's responsibility to determine what you and your child use to manage his diabetes. If you feel that gummy bears work, then use them. If you need to get a doctor's order to get her to comply, then do it.

This is not to discredit school nurses or the vital role they play in caring for our children.

11. mama2mm

mama2mm Approved members

If it works, I wouldn't change it.

12. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

Was there a problem recovering from a low at school? Were the gummies working? Wondering why she mentioned it.

13. Momto3

Momto3 Approved members

Originally she called me to tell how sticky the candy was - it was actually Annie's fruit snacks. These are a little stickier than most but there's a 15-minute wait so I thought just have DD go was her hands. She told me the crayons were sticky (DD colors during the 15 minutes). She did come up but to the minimum. DD had been 39 and went up to 72. I didn't think that was a problem because she has lunch immediately afterward.

It has been two or three weeks and each time I've seen her in person since, she has brought it up. I dropped off juice and some crackers today and it was brought up again to put the gummies in water. I told her again that we don't have a problem at home but she told me to read the ingredients and see if there was gelatin or corn starch because one breaks down faster than the other in water. I could tell this was going to cause an argument because she was raising her voice so I just said, 'fine if you'd prefer juice then juice it is.'

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  14. MamaBear

It sounds like she is just in the mood to win a little power struggle. The whole water thing is just silly, and has nothing to do with nothing but nothing.:rolleyes:

I have to agree with Christopher, it is NOT her decision to make. It is her responsibility to carry out treatment as determined by you and your child's endo. Good luck with her. She sound like a jerk.

15. emm142

emm142 Approved members

The water thing is only relevant if your child has no teeth or is too low to chew.

16. selketine

selketine Approved members

Gummies seem slow for us but maybe that is because my son takes a long time to eat them sometimes.

I agree if it works, don't change it. If it bothers the nurse that much I might move to a less sticky candy (skittles perhaps?) - sounds like the nurse doesn't like sticky....

17. mama2mm

mama2mm Approved members

It sounds like nursey was mad her crayons were sticky.:rolleyes:

18. Mom2Kathy

Mom2Kathy Approved members

The great thing about gummy snacks is that you have to chew them so I don't think they are quite as bad for teeth as even glucose tabs. My daughter will suck on the glucose tabs, or let it sit in her cheek and not chew them until they are melted. So I think for us, they have more potential to be harmful to her teeth.

That being said, we use the gummies for lows, but only if she's really low as they are around 20 carbs per package. I do have her drink a good amount of water after eating any sugar so it can get rid of the residual sugars. Unless of course she's going to be brushing her teeth soon anyway.

19. kyle and ryans mom

kyle and ryans mom Approved members

Gummies are fine if it works for you. Saliva and water are not the same. There are enzymes in saliva that start digestion(learned this in nursing school)

20. tonnia

tonnia Approved members

I am going to (sort of) defend the nurse here....since last school year I was a school nurse without a diabetic child. Now I am still a school nurse WITH a diabetic child.
    I have years and years of nursing experience and 8 yrs as a school nurse. In some ways it prepared me for caring for my child. But I did NOT know as much as I THOUGHT I did. And it is NOT as easy to keep those BG readings where they are supposed to be as I thought it should have been.
    Chalk her reaction up to ignorance...yep I said it, ignorance.
    Do what is best for you child!