- advertisement -

Question about giving out information on patients

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by malyssa, Jul 10, 2009.

1. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

Hi everyone.
    I have a question I'm hoping someone can answer for me...can your endo call up your pump company and get information about you/your child with D, legally? For example, can they call up the company, find out if/when you called the company, and then kick you out of their practice for 'noncompliance'? I thought that because of hippa laws that no one could just call up and ask for information about you. I had to get on the phone with this company just to give them a verbal permission to speak with my mom (because I'm 18 now), so I don't understand how my endo could just call up (w/o my permission or my parents permission) and just get information...

And the story behind this- I had to go off of my pump because of a problem I had with this pump. My mom was up north, about 2 hours away, and I went through 4 set changes, all which failed (this was about a two hour time-span), so she told me to switch pumps (we have a back-up) because I had to be into work, and I couldn't have been able to keep changing my site at work for failures and everything. So I switched pumps (but we did call them to let the endo know what happened, and I was told it was ok, and that they'd call back the next day- which we never heard from them again until this letter), which is why I was called non compliant. Because my endo only likes one brand of pump. And for this, they kicked me out...

Does this sound ok to you? My mom and I are quite upset, with the company and my endo.

Thanks in advanced for any opinions and/or info.

Malyssa

2. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

Because of the hippa laws I would think not, unless when you ordered the pump you ( or your mom ) signed something giving permission for your endo and the pump company to exchange information.

I do NOT like the thought of an endo sending you a letter like that.

When did you turn 18? If there was a form signed when you were a minor it should have expired once you became an adult.

Hopefully, someone that knows more than I do will chime in.

Why does the endo really care what pump you use?

When we were pump shopping the endo really wanted him to go with MM because they knew so much more about it. Kaleb stuck with the Ping and since then the endo is putting more and more kids on it.

3. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

Because of the hippa laws I would think not, unless when you ordered the pump you ( or your mom ) signed something giving permission for your endo and the pump company to exchange information.

I do NOT like the thought of an endo sending you a letter like that.

Yeah, when I got this pump, I was newly 15, and I had a different endo back then. And I don't remember ever signing anything like that, and my old endo never did anything like that. And this letter was quite rudely written. I was in tears to be honest. He had upset me about me having 'bad' control at my last appt because my a1c went up a little, and he made me cry at that appointment and really made me feel like a failure when it comes to D...I am not a fan, and this was just really the icing on the cake.

When did you turn 18? If there was a form signed when you were a minor it should have expired once you became an adult.

I turned 18 back in February.

Hopefully, someone that knows more than I do will chime in.

Why does the endo really care what pump you use?

When we were pump shopping the endo really wanted him to go with MM because they knew so much more about it. Kaleb stuck with the Ping and since then the endo is putting more and more kids on it.

He is very tight with a rep from this company. She is in their office on a daily basis. I'm not sure why he only likes this pump...I thought an endo would want a patient to be happy and support them. I just don't know. :(

Thank you,
    Malyssa

4. Seansmommy

Seansmommy Approved members

Omg! First off no matter what happens with this endo get a new one! You need someone you can trust, who is supportive, not someone who makes you cry!
    In Canada you can file a complaint I would think you could there too.

5. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

I think that something inappropriate is going on with the endo and the rep. I was a rep that called on drs, saw it happen all the time.

Find a new endo, that's ridiculous!

6. moco89

moco89 Approved members

Wouldn't it also be illegal for them to literally kick you out of their practice for being "non-compliant"????

I also agree that they cannot obtain info from the pump company legally. They can send stuff to the company, like prescriptions, etc. But, they cannot just go about calling up the pump company and getting information about you.

You would either have to give them permission verbally over the phone when they are calling the pump company, or have a form signed for them to even merely discuss the fact that you are a customer with them.

Something is wrong on both sides-the pump company AND the doctor's office.

It sounds like the endo's office has serious trust issues with their patients in general. I bet this is not the first time this has happened to somebody in their practice.

7. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

First of all, if you are 18 and in your state considered to be an adult, then the Endo's office was in the wrong and so was the other side.You have to sign a medical release for people to divulge or get information about you.
    Now saying this, if you are still under your parents insurance that could be a whole other ball game.

Saying this, I would ask your mother if she ever signed any release form on your behalf. These release forms only last so long and need to be updated on a regular basis. If your mother hasn't signed any release forms and you haven't then this is definitely a violation of Hippa Laws and I would file a complaint.

Now after saying all this, I would definitely find another Endo, one that is supportive and will listen. The purpose of going to an Endo is to help you with managing your diabetes, not to be graded like a kid in school. The Endo was so in the wrong it isn't even funny. Find another Endo. (((HUGS)))

8. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

Your endo did you a favor in disguise. Obviously he/she was NOT a good doctor for you. If your A1C goes up, find out why and help the person to bring it down - NOT belittle that person. Especially when that person obviously is trying to do her best! Find an endo that cares about YOU. SO sorry that this happened to you!!

I would definitely send a copy of the letter to the endo's practice/hospital/governing board. I'm sure they don't want to be losing business like this!

Non-compliance for using a pump YOU prefer? (even regardless of the pump problems you had) Excuse me, but when did having an endo entitle them to run your life? YOU are still in charge of your own decisions and choice of medical equipment!

I'm really irritated on your behalf. (Can you tell?! :) haha) Hopefully you can find an endo that works with you.

9. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

I just wanted to thank everyone for their responses. I thought I might have been over-reacting, but now I really don't think I am. I never gave permission to my endo, or that pump compnay to give out information. I wouldn't go back to him if you paid me to be honest. It's just going to be hard to find an endo now, because I'm 18. Pediatric endo's won't take me, and most of the adult endo's that we've contacted either don't deal with pumps, don't have many patients with type 1, or aren't taking any new patients. My mom is going to contact the endo and the pump compnay on Monday, and knowing her, the momma-bear will come out and we will get to the bottom of everything.

Again, thank you....
    Oh, and if any of you know of any decent adult endo's in New Jersey, could you please PM me or something? Thanks all. :)

Malyssa

10. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Privacy policies say different things and it's very possible that they allow, at least in some context, the health providers to talk to each other, and that your endo believes that you signed away the right for him to not talk to the pump company.
    But I agree that you don't want to see this guy anyhow. He sounds like bad news.

11. Omo2three

Omo2three Approved members

yep that is correct, when you sign the Hippa privacy act, you give them permission to call your Dr and insurance company to discuss your medical records.

Its a bunch of red tape...it also gives them permission to call and confirm apts.

Your Endo...sounds a bit off... I would look for another one

12. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

13. Scribe

Scribe Approved members

i actually think you're focusing on the wrong thing.
    why did you tell your endo in the first place? sounds like you're responsible and capable. you've been pumping successfully for several years. switching to your backup pump is all very routine. no reason to alert your endo in the first place. you certainly don't need permission.
    my endo (who i like) is good for two things: prescriptions and test authorization.
    i do everything else on my own; deal with issues myself. unless something is very, VERY, serious or abnormal i see my endo only when i need to renew RXs.
    it makes life much easier.

14. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

You or your parents may have signed a permission without realizing that you did. Most docs offices have standard permission forms that allow them to access the necessary info and they are part of the stack of paperwork that no one reads when you first go to the doctor. When you turned 18 a new one should have been signed, but that sounds like the least of your problems with this guy.
    A GOOD endo might call the pump company to help him figure out how to help you - perhaps you got bad info from the pump rep, etc. But your endo doesn't fit in that category, so he did you a favor by firing you. You do not have to thank him for the favor though! Just find yourself a good endo, even if you have to drive a bit to see him, and take care of yourself.

15. WhyMyBabyGirl

WhyMyBabyGirl Approved members

Scribe.
    Not to be nosey (but I am;)
    can you tell us what type of White House reporter you are?
    Television or print?

16. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

I'm not in the US so I don't know about the laws, but I have to say it sounds like you needed to change endos anyway. That endo was not being supportive. And if a patient is non compliant (not that you were) then the endo should be trying to help them, not kicking them out.
    I hope you can find a better endo.