- advertisement -

Question about filling pump reservoir

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kyles_mom, Mar 31, 2011.

1. kyles_mom

kyles_mom Approved members

I feel really silly asking this question since we've had D and been pumping for a while but we have always used the refill cartridges for the pen. Because of billing or the pharmacy..I'm still not sure, we were sent regular vials this last shipment. My question is....when we used needles, we always pushed in the same amount of air as we were going to be filling up with insulin. Do we need to do this with the pump reservoir as well? I looked through 'Pumping Insulin' and can't seem to find the answer. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Yes. You just prime the cartridge and then pull back to the point you want to fill, push that volume of air into the vial and fill with insulin. ;)

3. FloridaMom

FloridaMom Approved members

We were told to pump air in first.

4. kyles_mom

kyles_mom Approved members

thanks ladies, the training from almost 2 yrs ago just came back to me. Appreciate it!

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

;)

message too short

6. mommabear

mommabear Approved members

For the pump, we were told that we need to fill the cartidge full of air three times,let all the air out then fill with insulin..I don't know why or if it helps but thats what we do..:)

7. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

When Ashleigh and I put insulin into her pump. We pull the plunger back on the cartridge until we get the desired amount, then we push that amount of air into the insulin vial. After that we fill the cartridge up with insulin. Is that what you were asking? I was getting kind of confused when you said that you the refill cartridges for the pen. Do you mean you usually fill the pump up with the pen insulin (i've done this before too)?