- advertisement -

question about disconnecting and reconnecting to pump?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Hayden'sMom, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Hayden'sMom

Hayden'sMom Approved members

Hi..

Ok... so I disconnected DS from pump so he could have a super duper bath and now that I am reconnecting him to it... do I need to refill the canula? Thanks!

2. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

You don't need to refill the cannula, but I always prime a few units of insulin --With the pump still disconnected-- through the tubing before reconnecting.
    Basically I prime until I see a few drops of insulin come out. Then we reconnect and are good to go.

3. nyholli

nyholli Approved members

Hate to "stick my nose" in... but my D-Diva just starting pumping with the PING Tuesday and I am wondering... IS it possible to RE-Prime? I dont see that option. It almost looks like you have to start from Rewind.. BLAH, Blah, blah!

Any expert PINGers know if this is possible and if so how?

Thanks.

4. Michelle (IL)

Michelle (IL) Approved members

Yes, you can re-prime without rewinding, and loading. Just arrow up to the prime option hit ok and then prime until you see a few drops of insulin.

5. nyholli

nyholli Approved members

AWESOME to know! My girl spends quite a bit of time in the pool and during the saline trial I was suspending the pump. Well, I asked when we went in for the insulin start and she said dont ever suspend because the insulin has a slight chance of clogging (not sure the term she used)! So she said just disconnect and let it run.

6. Hayden'sMom

ok... question here??? leave the pump running while disconnected??? hmm... i didn't know that?? is this standard practice? wow. such a learning curve...but i wouldn't go back if i had to now..

congrats on the pump!!

7. Hayden'sMom

oh... and THANK YOU for your speedy responses:)

8. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

Don't suspend

I used to suspend my son's pump too when he took a bath, but everything I read from parents here said that this increases the likelihood of air bubbles and clogging because the pump stops running.

Now, I just take it off and prime a little.

That's it!

9. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

The only time I ever suspend DD's pump is when I am downloading it. Otherwise, when she takes it off to swim or shower, we just let it go.

10. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

Agreed - we don't suspend as it seems to cause air bubbles. We just let the basals run while he's showering. Then he primes a little bit and reconnects.

11. aslan1994

aslan1994 Approved members

prime?

Yikes - We've only been pumping since June 1st and my DD has been in the pool all summer. She knows to disconnect herself before getting in the pool, but I had never heard about priming before reconnecting.:eek: Does everyone do this? Maybe it WAS mentioned to me during training (along with about 3000 other tidbits of info necessary to remember!) :rolleyes:
    Thanks for mentioning this!

12. sarahconnormom

sarahconnormom Approved members

Connor disconnects for showers, swimming, and waterparks all the time. We never suspend and we have never primed before reconnecting. For showers we just leave the basal running and reconnect when he is done. For swimming and water parks we leave the basal running and reconnect every hour or so to give missed basal.
    I've never been told to prime before reconnecting.
    We've been pumping for over 3 years and it has never been an issue.

13. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

Tyler leaves his pump "running" when he disconnects, and do not reprime before reconnecting. The only time he does reprime his pump is if it lost it's prime from an extreme temp. change (ie:kept his pump in a cooler).

14. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

We don't prme when we reconnect to and I have never seen an issue. We were never told to.

15. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Another here who does not prime before reconnecting. It's probably "best practices" to do so, but it's just not really on my radar screen.

16. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

This is us too. We have never reprimed either.

17. tom_ethansdad

tom_ethansdad Approved members

As others have said, we do not suspend when he disconnects for swimming/shower/etc and we do not prime before reconnecting.

18. tuckerce

tuckerce Approved members

We are new to pumping with Animas as well, maybe 3 weeks in: Does anyone allow children to keep pump on with waterplay? Caitlin is 5, so she kind of just plays around in the pool for an hour or so at a time?

19. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

Our son swims with his Ping on -- it's waterproof to several feet (maybe 8 or 9 feet), and that's one of the reasons we chose it.