advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about diabetes camp

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by rutgers1, Jun 21, 2011.

1. rutgers1

rutgers1 Approved members

Matt isn't interested this year, but I had a question that I think would pertain to the group on this board since so many of us check our kids at least once during the night.

Do they test the kids at night at camp?

I guess it seems like a lot to ask, yet since my son needs that 3AM check, I figured I'd ask it. If they didn't check, I wouldn't blame them -- as I wouldn't expect them to have the resources to do that -- but by the same token that would be a deal breaker for Matt going. I wouldn't be able to relax if they were letting him play all day and then sleep through the night without a check.

2. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

They do at Camp Sweeney, at least once, more if there's an issue.

3. Marie4Julia

Marie4Julia Approved members

My daughter goes to Camp Victory, the ADA run camp here in Louisiana. If you request night checks, the nurses will come to the cabin and check each and every camper who is on their night check list. They also treat and correct if necessary. My mom is an RN who volunteered at camp a couple of years ago, and she said that they even changed sets in the middle of the night when necessary.

I would highly suggest that any camper have night checks as the activity level is extremely high during the day.

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Abby goes to Clara Barton (who runs Joslin too). Yes, they have a whole protocol for nighttime testing. Usually once a night, then more if there is an issue.

5. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

Camp floyd Rogers does midnight and three am checks.

6. TheTestingMom

TheTestingMom Approved members

At Gales Creek the counselors check each and every kid at midnight AND 3am.

Not going isn't an option for our son. This is something he doesn't have a choice in. We feel the benefits will last him a lifetime.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  7. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

The camp my DS goes to also does a 2am check. I bet most camps do at least one night check. If not, it's not out of bounds to ask them to do a check on your child!!!

8. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

DD hasn't gone to D camp, but we went to an overview and they do check the kids every night and correct or give carbs when necessary.

9. cb-dm

cb-dm Approved members

To the parent that said, "we don't give our kid the choice..." GOOD!! I was VERY angry at this whole deal as a child and my parents furthermore never got much info on camps... it would have made a huge difference in my perspective certainly then, and perhaps now as well... my urge... DO IT... THEY NEED TO KNOW SOMEONE ELSE (I had no one!... there were other kids at my school, but I barely knew their names, much less could even vent to them about it) ...

10. giddyup_go

giddyup_go Approved members

They do 2 middle of the night checks at the D camp our daughter goes to. Midnight and 3 am. More if needed for lows / highs. I couldn't send her to a camp that didn't do middle of the night checks either, especially when you add in a lot of things they aren't normally doing.

11. giddyup_go

giddyup_go Approved members

Our daughter goes to Gales Creek, as did my sister. We love it and our daughter looks forward to going next year the day she gets home. :) I wouldn't give her a choice either, so it's a good thing she really wants to go.

12. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

Funny story. Hanna went wacky weekend at Barton in February. They allow non-d siblings and friends. So th boys counselor is doing the midnigt check and he says how excited he was that this one kids hand is hanging out and he didn't have to dig for it. Pricks his finger and the kid jumps a mile, and he is in the 80s and if a kid is under 100 they give them peanutbutter crackers. So he hands the kid the crackers and kid is just staring at him. And he finally said dude are you going to eat the cracker and the kid says dude I don't have diabetes! Oops! ;)

13. Denise

Denise Approved members

Yes...they tested Molly in the middle of the night. They tested at night as frequently as I asked...which was just once.

14. TheTestingMom

TheTestingMom Approved members

Thanks that's good to know. He is the only child in his school that has T1D. He has had some issues about having D, so he sees a counselor that specializes in kids with chronic disease, especially D. We see Dr.H every few months now. I can't praise our camp enough. One of his camp shirts says....AMAZING HAPPENS HERE...it's such an understatement, there are no words to explain how amazing camp and the people involved really are.

15. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

At Texas Lions Camp they did midnight checks and more if necessary.

16. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

LOL!!! That's funny!!!

17. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

rofl. I love those guys. My son was there. I won't tell you what award he won. Yes, he won THAT award.

18. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Abby goes to Rainbow Club down in Greenwich and that happened at the sleepover. The next year, the same kid went to bed with a sign that said "don't wake me, I don't have diabetes!":D
    We are doing Wacky Week starting Sunday:)