- advertisement -

Question...about college

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by kierbabi09, Jan 4, 2010.

  1. kierbabi09

    kierbabi09 Approved members

    Aug 20, 2007
    I have a question, but it is not diabetes related in any way.
    I need some advice, please.
    I really like the college I go to. It is small and private.
    I declared my major as education, partly because I didn't like my advisor and did not want to meet with her and partly because I thought maybe it was what I wanted to do.
    However, I realized that I really don't wan't to teach. Its just not what I wanna do. I was thinking occupational therapy. However, they dont have that major at my school.
    Do I stay somewhere I like but do something that I don't like or even want to do or do I transfer somewhere??
    All I know is I am so confused. Help???
  2. jilmarie

    jilmarie Approved members

    Jan 29, 2007
    If you don't think you want to teach anymore, then it's silly to major in education. You should definitely major in what you think you will like.

    As for occupational therapy, I think that's a masters level degree so you could do all of your prerequisite classes where you are now and then apply to OT school.

    Could you call the advising office and request a new advisor? A good advisor can be a real asset to guiding you along the path that's best for you.
  3. Beach bum

    Beach bum Approved members

    Nov 17, 2005
    Nothing wrong with transfering, especially if you do it early on. Less chance of having to repeat or make up courses.

    Don't box yourself in to something you don't want to do, it's a waste of your time, brain and money!

    Suggestion, talk to an OT and see if this really is what you want to do, then start fillin' out the paperwork.

    Good luck.
  4. jilmarie

    jilmarie Approved members

    Jan 29, 2007
    I also wanted to say that it's only your first year and it's totally normal to change your major and question your career path. It's part of the college experience for most students!
  5. Kalebsmom

    Kalebsmom Approved members

    Aug 29, 2008
    I think it would be much easier to change colleges now then get an education in a field you really do not want to be in. You will work 30+ years and nobody wants to do a job they hate for that long.
  6. Lee

    Lee Approved members

    Oct 5, 2006
    I agree - take some core classes and start really studying what you want to do...then find a college that will fit that!
  7. ccarrol4

    ccarrol4 Approved members

    Nov 1, 2007
    I'm a second semester junior now and I've literally changed my major 4 times. I'm finally set on criminal justice with a minor in social work. I've always been told that your career is something you'll deal with for a very long time, so you should do whatever it takes to do something you'll enjoy, afterall you'll have to deal with it on a daily basis. My suggestion would be to transfer if they do not offer your major at the school your currently attending.
  8. hawkeyegirl

    hawkeyegirl Approved members

    Nov 15, 2007
    Kiersten, it looks to me that you have two paths to an OT degree. One is to transfer to a school that offers an OT program. I've found some that allow undergraduate seniors to begin the program. The other is to complete undergraduate work at the school where you're currently going and then get your Master's degree in OT somewhere else.

    If you do the second route, I'd narrow down the universities you'd likely apply to and check out their required prereqs. Here's a link to one university's program so that you can see what typical prereqs are. I assume you'd probably be looking at an undergrad degree in one of the sciences or kinesiology or the like.

    Good luck! :)
  9. bgallini

    bgallini Approved members

    Feb 23, 2008
    I think you've gotten great advice. Some colleges don't even let you declare a major before you are a sophomore and this is why. You need to take some time to explore a few possible majors and to think about what you want to major in. Maybe you can call your local school district and talk to an OT that works there and then call a local hospital and talk to an OT there....find out what they really do and what type of education you have to have to get that job. I would think that getting a masters in OT would be the way to go but I don't know if that's true. You can ask for a different advisor if the one you have isn't helping. And you can look at colleges that offer a bachelors in OT to see if you'd like to go there. But you have time to decide. Take your time.:)
  10. OSUMom

    OSUMom Approved members

    Sep 10, 2006
    Oh gosh, it's not too late at all to change. No worries.

    If OT is like PT, you just need a science based undergraduate and then you'll get your master's in OT at a college where they have that. I'm sure you could get your undergraduate degree right where you are. Did you take biology or anatomy in high school and like it?

    I'd call or visit an OT program and ask them what they like in an undergraduate and what the prerequisites are. Maybe there's an OT Assistant type degree? There is with PT. If there is, you might want to do that to make sure you like OT - that could mean transferring.

    Good luck - exciting stuff and lots of good advice by everyone here.

Share This Page

- advertisement -

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice