- advertisement -

Question about changes in insulin needs

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Andy'sMom, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Andy'sMom

Andy'sMom Approved members

Hi everyone - So today, Andy's Novolog ratio is 1:25 (only used to cover breakfast). This seems odd to me given that probably 6 months ago, it was 1:10 and it had been that way for months. We slowly started adjusting as we got lows up to 1:25 - all of this over the course of several months, slowly adjusting. Anyone else experience this and any idea why the insulin needs would decrease so much, but gradually over time? Could it be hormones? Note, the basal insulin has basically stayed the same. It would probably help to look at trends of all his numbers over the past 6 months, but just thought I'd ask to see if anyone else saw decrease in insulin needs over time?

2. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Speaking only from my experience, we see decreased insulin needs with warmer weather, increased activity, and growth spurts (most see an increased need with growth).

3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

In the past two weeks, my I:C has gone from 1:9/1:10 to 1:18. Not quite as big a change, but I've been around the 1:10 mark roughly since dx, so these tiny doses are coming as a bit of a shock to me. I think my doses are going to need to get lower still, because lows are still happening after meals. I've given up questioning and I'm just going with it.. but I still wonder WHY.

4. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

We get a huge insulin sensitivity increase after a big growth spurt and also during warmer temps, when there's more activity.