- advertisement -

question about CGM coming off

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Theo's dad Joe, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Theo's dad Joe

Theo's dad Joe Approved members

My son's is starting to peel around the edges and we are closing in on 4 days in right now.

1) is there something I can do right now? Will it stay on (its on the lower back) even if the tape peels off a lot?
    2) What can I do to make them stay on better, I will get the skin tac. Also people have mentioned some kind of tape. Also does it need to be covered in the water.

I may do the arm on vacation as we will be in the ocean.

If you want to link to a similar thread instead that would be fine.

2. Lori_Gaines

Lori_Gaines Approved members

We use Tegaderm. You can get it in any store. We cut two pieces in half to make four pieces, and tape down the edges of the Dexcom sensor. Towards the end of the week we may have to do it a little reinforcement, but it works great for us.

3. njswede

njswede Approved members

The stock glue won't last a full week. You need either skintac to strengthen the adhesive or tegaderm/opsite to tape it down. It WILL come off otherwise.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Not really true. Everyone is different - for some it's fine for even two weeks for others not so much. We use opsite tape, as needed, sometime during the second week

5. njswede

njswede Approved members

I should have added a YDMV to that, yes...

6. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

It peels off on Emma easily. SkinTac is what works for us. Tried another liquid adhesive that didn't work at all. We put SkinTac on before the sensor and let it get tacky. Then I can also reapply along the edges if it starts to pull up. If shes going to be in the water a lot, I use waterproof tape or an adhesive ace bandage over it to help keep it on. The waterproof tape worked pretty well these past two weeks on our vacation at the beach and then at grandparents in the pool. The waterproof tape would start to pull off by the end but it kept enough water off the Dex tape with SkinTac that it stayed on the full two weeks.

7. Theo's dad Joe

thank you, When you say waterproof tape, do you use that like the handbook says by taping with around it, or do you cover the transmitter with waterproof tape?

8. Theo's dad Joe

I got the tegaderm today and it looks like it should hold for at least the first week. I placed it on tuesday night and was hoping to make it to the NEXT Saturday to put it on a regular schedule, placing Saturday around 2:00 pm and calibrating before dinner.

9. Theo's dad Joe

You know what I'd like (short of a cure) is dissolving sensors that have built in micro transmitters that send out to a receiver and also directly to cloud. Can somebody get me one of those?

I also need a phone that won't let me open it more than 288 times a day and I need to learn how to take 5 minute power naps.

10. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

I'm with you!

We do this: alcohol, skin tac, dex, and rock tape with a hole cut out of it, which we replace every 2-3 days. The tegaderm irritated my son's skin but is hands down the best solution for keeping the damn thing on. I love the rock tape because it breathes and can be taken off without taking the Dex tape with it. We go 10-14 days no problem (usually we find things get wonky with the readings before the adhesive is an issue) and when the rock tape comes off the Dex looks like it was just put on.

11. Lori_Gaines

Lori_Gaines Approved members

We do not cover the transmitter. We just tape the adhesive.

12. dpr

dpr Approved members

We use Tincture of Benzoin. It's a sticky brown liquid that also protects the skin. Swab it on with a Q Tip and stick the Dex down. We're good for 12-16 days with it. It also works for infusion sites that don't stick well while swimming. You do need to use it first when you put things down, it won't fix peeling tape. It's a whopping $5.00 a bottle and I've been using the same bottle for about 3-4 years and it's still half full. A good pharmacy should have it.

13. Nancy in VA

I don't put tape over the transmitter - just around the edge. But I wouldn't hesitate to tape over the transmitter if I were concerned. We used to use the Navigator way back when and lost a transmitter that got ripped off, so I always taped over the transmitter. This one clicks in so tightly I have little concern about it coming out. I don't leave the waterproof tape on all the time - just in the pool (or the ocean - we were at Myrtle Beach a couple of weeks ago). Otherwise, just SkinTac

14. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

Tegaderm irritates my daughter's skin but not my son's. My son can make a sensor last a couple of weeks and with tegaderm can go longer. Daughter might wrap it with vet wrap if it is on her arm.

15. lmf1122

lmf1122 Approved members

We exclusively use arm sites for Dexcom and use vet wrap over the transmitter and around the arm for water parks and ocean. It works great and I don't have to worry about the sensor falling off and losing the transmitter.

16. suej

suej Approved members

We stick a big about 8cm by 8cm square of hypafix (corners rounded) over the whole transmitter gently smoothed down. Usually lasts 10-14 days, and if it peels at the edges can trim it. If it gets very dirty can replace it as it does not pull off the sensor tape. Swimming in the sea definitely deserves vet wrap or an arm band just for my own sanity. (sensors at the back of Ben's upper arm)

17. Nancy in VA

Vet Wrap - that's the other stuff that we use. I actually asked the pharmacist last time I was buying something and she suggested the waterproof tape if for no other reason it was a lot cheaper. It didn't stay on the entire time in the ocean, but if I could get the four strips lined up when I taped her up, it stayed on pretty good. The key was that even with SkinTac, long term exposure to water will make her lose her sensor before even 1 week, much less 2, is up - so by using the waterproof tape and/or vet wrap, we extend it as long as we can.

18. swellman

swellman Approved members

We routinely go 2 weeks.

Daryl had a good post about cutting Flexfix but his attachments are gone.