- advertisement -

Question about animas infusion sets

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Turtle1605, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

I am getting sample infusion sets from all of the pump companies for my little boy (just turned 6 years old...pretty tall, average build...but not a lot of fat) to see if any one of them bothers him less than the others, which one stays in better, etc.

Tonight we tried Animas products. The inset 30 infusion system (the one that goes in at an angle) seemed to work okay, although I can see the cannula under the skin which is a little gross, so I'm wondering if it is deep enough.

On the other hand, the most popular basic inset infusion set would not go into his skin no matter how hard or light I held it against his skin. I tried a couple of times and finally gave up because the cannula would just come back bent (which worries me).

Am I doing something wrong or could it be that his build makes him better suited for the angled set? Or...is this a less than desirable product? Any advice?

2. Bsbllmom

Bsbllmom Approved members

Do you see a lump or can you just see it going in through the window in the tape?

3. Turtle1605

I know so little...I don't understand your question (sorry :eek:)

4. zoomom456

zoomom456 Approved members

Before I ask my question I just want to state that I always start with the most simple solution first. So here goes, on the straight set, are you removing the large plastic needle guard first? The angled set has a plastic guard the same color as the set, the straight in has a clear silicone sleeve covering the inserter needle that needs to be removed first. It looks very similiar to the cannula.:cwds:

5. Turtle1605

We'll jeez...that would be the problem. That would be a simple fix. Thank you. My poor child! I'll use this as my "I'm embarrassed" icon :eek:

6. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

That was my first thought too.:D

7. azdrews

azdrews Approved members

It happens to all of us! The first time I did a site change by myself I forgot to take off the tape....so he suffered through the needle going in....but it didn't stick!

8. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

You can also try the steel sets.

Believe it or not my hubby and I tried all the sets on ourselvs first and found the steel sets to be the most comfortable.

They are also super easy to insert. Just like sticking in a thumbtac. But do it gently, like inserting an earing.

For Animas you can use Contact Detach. It comes in two sizes, go for the smallest (6mm I believe)

You can also get rapid D, but you will have to go through another distributor. We have better luck with the Rapid D http://www.accu-chekinsulinpumps.com/ipus/products/infusionsets/rapidd.html

They have a larger sticky part than the contact detach, and only stick on one part of the body rather than two.

Good luck.

9. jdeckhoff

jdeckhoff New Member

Hi,
    I use three different infusion sets for my son with his minimed Revel pump,he is 12 now been pumping for six years (I just rotate sets when I order my supplies) I prefer the inset 30, better blood sugars fewer kinked cannulas.
    My husband likes the quick set (that is what we first started using) and my son likes the Mio, it is the easiest for him to use when doing his own site changes in his stomach.