advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quesrtion about pre mixing meds.

Discussion in 'Insulins' started by Artgirl, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Artgirl

Artgirl Approved members

Hello, I am new to this game and have a question in which I cannot get a straight answer from nurses and pharmacists. My daughter is on Humilin N and Humalog, I wanted to know if you could mix these two up in a needle and pack the needles in her bag to be used at a later time ie...supper time out or at a friends for a sleepover? Can the pre mixed meds in the needle be used later? A nurse said yes and a pharmacist said absolutely not. It would make our life so much easier for her and us but I don't want to take the chance if we can't. Thanks. PS she won't use the pens.

2. wilf

wilf Approved members

No you can't mix them. Humulin N (which everyone on here knows as "NPH" needs to be gently mixed up in the vial just prior to drawing it into a syringe and giving it, in order to get the crystals into solution so its got that milky white colour.

It won't work if you profile in a syringe and use later, because it won't mix properly.