- advertisement -

Q3 2012 Insulet Investors Call-believe FDA clearance is "close" for smaller pod

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by virgo39, Nov 8, 2012.

1. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

On the call, Insulet stated that the additional "human factors" testing requested by the FDA was submitted in "late September" and that no additional feedback from the FDA had been received. They believe that the 510k clearance is, FWIW, "close."

More concretely, it sounds like they have really ramped up production in anticipation of shipping them right away.

I remember when we started pumping in July 2010 -- when I naively thought (not realizing that they had not even submitted to the FDA at that time) -- that DD would be on a smaller pod by the end of that year.

2. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

That is great news!

3. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

We started 2 years ago this month too. We were told they would be shipping by December 2010. ha! I won't believe it unit the UPS box is sitting on my front porch!

4. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

When I place my order a couple of weeks ago, I was told that it wouldn't be this year. I do think it is close, but I needed to know whether to order a box at a time or 3. I went with the 3, because of what he said, but next orders will all be one box at a time.

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

LOL, like when we re-upped with Animas thinking that they would be integrated within a year or two...
    My daughter has expressed interest in the pod and hopefully when our next cycle is up with Animas the smaller pod will be out.

6. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

Does the smaller pod hold the same amount of insulin? I have no personal experience with the pod.

I do find it interesting that many people want smaller and smaller devices (all insulin delivery systems), yet want them to have larger cartridges.

7. Lenoremm

Lenoremm Approved members

Yes, the smaller pod still holds 200 units of insulin.
    It has fewer internal batteries and changes to other internal components to make it about 30% smaller than the current pod (according to the rep I spoke to recently).

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Well, I don't think that people want larger cartridges just for the sake of hauling around a "big gulp" of insulin :rolleyes: People want larger cartridges because 180 units is not enough, period, for any non-honeymooning adolescent. Since pumping is a great delivery system for teens and young adults (among others) why would anyone want to sabotage their success by sticking with a fundamental design flaw like a 180u capacity cartridge?

Besides, an additional 100u of insulin takes up a tiny bit of space. There's no good reason why the pump designers and manufactures should be more attentive to user feedback and why they can't get their act together and design better equipment. Nor is there any good reason why people should't want a smaller pod, if people hadn't had an expectation of design improvements in pumping our kids would still be toting around pump backpacks and brick sized testers.

9. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

Sarah,

I think the issue is that I don't really know much about the Pods and that my brain has a hard time envisioning smaller and smaller devices that work as well as the larger devices. I just don't have a math/science oriented brain.

I looked at this: http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes-technology/insulin-pumps/current-pumps/pump-comparison

Looks like only one of the MiniMed pumps is 176 units, two have 200 units, others 300 or more. I guess the issue, for me, is that I no longer know how many units of insulin per day a "normal sized (5'8" 150 lbs)" teen or adult would be taking. Of course, in puberty, dose could be tripled! Not sure why there are no larger capacity pumps. How about smaller pumps for toddlers, huge capacity ones for teens in puberty/larger adults, and standard pumps? Boy, would that befuddle the FDA!

10. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

There are only two sizes of MM pumps: the "small" pump has a capacity of 176 units and the "big" pump has a capacity of 300 units. We will certainly order the larger pump the next time around, as the size difference is minimal, and Jack already uses a lot of insulin for his age.

11. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I think the cartridge size has actually very little impact on the overall pump size. Our first pump, the Cozmo held 300u and was considerably smaller and more ergonomically designed than our current 300u mm723 . The Ping that we used for about a nanosecond is just a wee bit smaller than the mm and only holds just over 1/2 as much insulin. I think switching to the "bag" rather than a hard cartridge like the t-slim pump might help reduce bulk but we haven't tried a patch pump yet so I can't really speak to what an "acceptable" size would be other than to say that the current omnipod isn't appealing to my kid in it's current design stage.

12. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

Marissa had no interest in the Pod when it first came out.

As for the t:slim, saw one person comment in another thread about the whole recharging when your power goes out. Did not really think this would ever be significant, then Sandy came into the lives of those of you in the east and some were still powerless as of yesterday. Maybe the next version will have a Plan B for charging the device.

13. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

My daughter uses and loves the Pod! I have held in my hand the prototype smaller Pod, and the amount of real estate it takes up on the skin seems about the same. What is different is the profile...the new Pod is more flat, so it is a lower profile. Jayden is very excited about the lower profile Pod coming out :). I hope it is sometime very soon.

14. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

With some planning like for any emergency you can survive the charging. There are solar chargers, plug in emergency chargers, and many places you can find a place to charge like in the car or a local hotel.