- advertisement -

Putting "our kids can do anything" to the test --- Pie Eating Contest

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by DavidN, Jul 4, 2014.

1. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

So you're at a very large, crowded, hopping 4th of July party with your family. It's got all the typical games and events. Your CWD approaches with a gleam in his eye and says "Dad (Mom) there's a pie eating contest and I REALLY want to enter". It's 3 minutes of eating as much apple pie as you possibly can with your hands behind your back. Do you let him/her enter?

2. Mimikins

Mimikins Approved members

I was discussing this with my family this morning.

Personally, I wouldn't. It would be so difficult to accurately carb count for it. Of course, you can always try to give your best shot of how much s/he ate after the event is over.

3. caspi

caspi Approved members

I wouldn't either. But it has nothing to do with D. I wouldn't have let him even if he didn't have D.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

yes, I would and it would be a wreck but my kid would survive, and more importantly, so would the memory.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  5. namegirl

namegirl Approved members

I would let mine. 3 minutes isn't that long and I would just guess on the carbs and do more frequent checking afterward to ward off high BG. If my kid thinks that activity sounds like fun, then I'm game, too.

6. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

absolutely.... Apple Pie is healthy right?

7. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

I'd probably do it unless she was starting out pretty high.

8. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

but if you are saying "yes" and then the BG is too high, so you change your mind and the kid knows that it is because of Diabetes, then aren't they likely to become more hateful of Diabetes and how it stops them doing things? I think I'd be more worried about choking than bg's..

9. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

I'd definitely let my daughter do this. Because I would have let her do this before diagnosis. If I didn't, I'd be penalizing her for something that isn't her fault: having type 1 diabetes.

10. Lori_Gaines

Lori_Gaines Approved members

This!!!!!!

11. Sarah Maddie's Mom

me too '-) I mean, how much pie can a kid actually consume with hands tied behind their back? Probably not all that much.

I'm also taking into account the setting- the OP said this was a large family gathering. I wouldn't want my kid, assuming she was really excited about participating, to be sitting there watching all her cousins and friends in the contest and feeling that once again diabetes got in the way. That said I'm perfectly happy saying no to all sorts of foods (mostly foods I've always said no to, fast food, pop tarts, highly processed anything etc) This to me isn't about the food, it's about the party, the celebration and the family event.

12. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Yes, I would. It's only one day out of 365. It can be fixed. As Jane said, I'd be more concerned about choking. And seriously, you can't eat a heck of a lot with your hands tied behind your back.

I'd take a pie contest over fast food in an instant.

13. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Yes for me, too. I think 3 minutes of pie eating would be far easier to carb count for than a day of festive grazing!

14. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Well, we played Minute to Win It at a picnic today and both my kids participated in eat-donuts-off-a-string and roll-Oreos-down-your-face-and-into-your-mouth contests, so my answer is obviously a yes. We did great with DS - he was between 70-100 almost all day. Not so great with DD - her post-games numbers actually hit 400. I couldn't tell you the last time I saw a 400! They had a blast...and we had DD back to regular numbers a few hours later so it's not even a matter of 'one day a year' but '4 hours a year' and it was totally worth it to them. People always seem to panic at Halloween but days like today are always so much crazier. Swimming, running, food everywhere, games, excitement, sun...I'd take a trick or treat bag over this any day! :)

15. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

Its a horrible act of gluttony for anyone at all diabetic or not which will cause some damage to ones body yet I am totally for every adult making their own decisions. It is even worse for a diabetic child and reality trumps platitudes so my minor child would not be allowed to eat that much highly processed junk food that fast and without counting. If you disagree with me I 100% support your decision to disagree. I dont want to convince anyone at all to think my way or act my way - just answering the OP.

16. Sarah Maddie's Mom

A three minute pie eating contest, with no hands, is going to cause damage to one's body? On what planet?

17. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

Ooooohhhh heck ya, I would want to join in personally. YUM!!!!

for matt, it would have to be pumpkin pie.... he could probably eat his weight in it in three minutes with his hands tied behind his back easily.

18. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

So who won? :)

19. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

The event organizers estimated 1,200 people at the party. The pie eating contest was a popular event and 10 kid entrants were chosen by lottery. I was sorta hoping he wouldn't be picked but he was. Fast forward. He won the contest and had a blast.

He stood to walk to the judges table for his prize ($100 gift certificate) and his pod and CGM were front and center on his belly. I saw a few parents murmur to one another and one woman asked my wife how he was able to participate.

Going in, I was concerned about the bolusing but my guessing was on that day and he didn't rise above 230 and was at 130 two hours post event.

He says he wants to defend his title next year. :smile:

20. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

Love it! Glad to hear he won and had a blast eating all that pie! :triumphant: