- advertisement -

Put into words how a high blood sugar feels

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by Abby-Dabby-Doo, Aug 11, 2007.

1. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

I'm writing up what feels like a small novel for my daughters teacher. I could really use your words. I'm trying to explain to her what a high blood sugar feels like so she can relate to my daughter. We're only 6 months into D, but this is a fresh start with a new teacher, so I want her to "get it". Teachers USUALLLY have a lot of compassion, else they wouldn't be teaching, but I think when you explain it so they can relate it works better.

2. kel4han

kel4han Approved members

For me, the highs make me feel like I am raging inside, which, I guess makes sense being the war going on in there. I really, really have a hard time controlling angry outbursts over anything. I have meltdowns. I just want to sleep. My face feels hot, and I am kinda spacey, lost in what I am trying to say or do. Somtimes I cant find my words, and they get all twisted coming out. The same as low for me. Forget trying to listen to anything anybody says,,,,,,,I think they are all mumbling as my bed is screaming at me. I am anxious and feel like I had way too much coffee. I feel like I have moved mountains all day, I mean, the tired you get from being up with a new baby (or a child with "D"!!!) adding to that muscles that feel like you did a bizzilion crunches all day. They feel stretched, tight and stingy. My eyes want to shut out the world, and nothing anyone can say will change my mind. I also want to cry, and scream as my emotions come unglued. I think that one word describes it.....Unglued. Mostly, things dont process. I hear it, but I dont take it in.....I have to read the same paragraph a bizzilion times etc.

3. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Each child can feel something different when high. I can tell my son is high because he is thirsty and goes to the bathroom a lot (usually that is when very high). Otherwise, he cannot tell.

What I suggest is when your daughter is high, ask her if anything feels different. After a while, she may begin to notice that she feels the same way when high.

Some kids feel the same when the sugar is out of range either way. They just know that the sugar is out of wack.

If you gain input from other folks, they may not be able to describe how your daughter feels. Only she can say that.

4. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Lethargy. That's it. I'm tired and hungry and thirsty and I need to pee. That's what a high feels like to me.

5. Stacey Nagel

Stacey Nagel Approved members

in addition to the above, Jesse also gets very grumpy when Hi.

6. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

Samantha says she feels like a caged animal. She can't sit still and feels like she needs to scream. It sounds like Sam feels very similarly to the way Kelly feels with a high.

7. 3js

3js Approved members

add crabby and this is my son to a t.

8. livacreature

livacreature Approved members

I feel tired, irritable, emotional, drained, slow, nauseous, horrible headache, thirsty, and closed in. It always feels like it take 10X the energy just to breath or move.

9. Kent T

Kent T Approved members

Hi,

My head feels 3 feet thick! I am slow, constantly going to the bathroom, and feeling crabby! Not the way I like!

10. Lee

Lee Approved members

I hear my tongue feels fuzzy ALOT!

11. whistler

whistler Approved members

I get many of the same symptoms others have listed, I also find if I am really high, up in the 20's(>360) I have a hard time breathing. I never used to get headaches when I was high until recently, probably within the last year or so. Now a days I'll know a lot sooner if my BS is going up by my pounding head.:mad: