- advertisement -

Pumping Tresiba Untethered

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by JayT1D, Aug 10, 2016.

1. JayT1D

JayT1D New Member

Hi everyone first time poster and was recommended to this board from tuDiabetes. My son was diagnosed 5 years ago at 17 months of age. Ever since he has been on MDI using Humalog and Lantus. Recently I ordered him a T:Slim pump which he should receive any day now. We've had relatively moderate success using Lantus and was wondering has anyone used it off script for their child. I was planning on going the untethered route and keep him on the Lantus with the pump as well. Has anyone used the combo of a pump and Tresiba for their child?

2. samson

samson Approved members

Bumping this one, also curious about the reply.

3. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

We have never used Tresiba.

When we wanted to add Lantus back to the mix after going on the pump we just started using it and lowered the basal rate on the pump. You can't lower the basal rate to zero so some of the basal must always come from the pump. We do about half and half. We did not ask permission first - just started it. Then at the next clinic appointment asked for a prescription to keep the lantus supply stocked up. It is nice to keep high highs a bit lower when a site fails and she can disconnect for a longer period of time when she wants to. However, she rarely goes around without her pump on - go figure. We use the T-slim too. I like the surely of lantus and the fine tuning of the pump.

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

We currently do about 70% basal from Levimir the rest from the pump for the needed variability. I want to try tresiba but new to us endo is not comfortable yet for the my 11 and 8 year olds. I am ok with that for now. We are not "un-tethered" now but have been in the past. both my girls pump but get both the long acting and fast acting under RX. we have been pumping since 18 month for my oldest that is now almost 12 and dx at 13monts.

5. kledi

kledi Approved members

We use tresiba on MDI after 1 year of using Levemir. We have used Tresiba for 3 months now, we are amazed of less lows but the biggest advantage for us is smaller post meal spikes.

6. JayT1D

JayT1D New Member

Thank you everyone. I'm just now logging in because I didn't see any email alerts. Our t:slim pump arrived today and our endo is supportive of the un-tethered approach. Lately we have had crazy spikes at night which prompted me to try different basal insulins. My son has been on Lantus since DX and we have never tried any other types of basal. School starts next week so we will hold pumping off for another few weeks.