- advertisement -

Pumping regular

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by RomeoEcho, Mar 7, 2014.

1. RomeoEcho

RomeoEcho Approved members

I think I have heard of this before, but does anyone here regularly pump with regular? I have used it in emergencies in my pump, and I have injected it plenty, but I haven't reliably used it. Due to Tslim problems, I am out of Novolog and have only apidra and an old bottle of R left. I am waiting for new insurance to kick in so I can buy more Novolog, but am considering trying the R while I wait. Anyone have problems with it in a pump?

2. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I used it for a few months in my pump. It worked really well for me. I have no evidence to back this up, but my feeling is that it would be the least likely insulin to cause occlusions in the tslim. My experience is that it is an extremely stable insulin. I used 6 hours for my active insulin time with it. Also, if you are in the US you can get a vial of it at walmart for $25.

ETA: I switched back to apidra (and now humalog) because I am seemingly incapable of bolusing at least 5 minutes before I eat. With the faster insulins I can bolus and then immediately eat which is my preference. I found regular needed a 10-15 minute prebolus.

3. RomeoEcho

Hmm, interesting. I've definitely taken advantage of walmart insulin before. An insulin emergency is about the only thing that will send me in there, but the ability to buy OTC cheap insulin is worth it.

I think I'm going to try it then. I need at least a 15 minute prebolus with the analogs anyway, and regular only seems to need slightly more than this for me. I will admit that I don't always do it, but I get huge spikes otherwise, so when I'm doing things right I don't think it would save me that much. I know Jonah has seen similar results while injecting, some of us just don't get as much advantage from the analogs. I can also try and get a sample from my doc next week if this doesn't work. I was supposed to have insurance this week but they screwed me so I'd be paying OOP for a few more weeks.

4. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Did I hear my name? :eek:

I am pumping with Regular (and I've been using Walmart's Regular for the last year or so 'cause it's cheaper than getting it through my insurance's mail order). I have not tried pumping with anything else.

My understanding is that if Regular was causing problems with pumping, it would be because of crystals forming in the tubing. I have not had that problem. I have been having LOTS of pumping problems- I just had pump #3 replaced and I'm still pretty new to pumping.
    My guess is that Regular is not the reason for my problems, and nobody at medtronic has suggested that that's the problem. They all seem to think my problems are mostly to do with bad luck, lack of fat, and too much scar tissue.

5. RomeoEcho

Well, I've already passed the threshold where Novolog was usually failing. But I am also using a site from another distributor because we had questions there. I wouldn't usually change two variables, but timing was bad. I'm rapidly approaching the 72 hour mark though so I might be on to something. The regular is a bit slower than I remember, but not something I can't live with I guess.

Tandem thinks there is something weird interacting between the insulin storage, tubing and cartridge. Still working out what though. It doesn't appear to be a single point failure unfortunately.