- advertisement -

Pumping Question :IOB and Bolus??

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Hayden'sMom, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Hayden'sMom

Hayden'sMom Approved members

Hey all...

It just dawned on me that when I do ezcarb on the ping... the IOB is not subracted from the carb amount... should I be subtracting the IOB from the total before I dose?

Thanks...

2. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

IOB is already working on previous carbs or bg...IOB should not be subtracted from new carbs.

3. Hayden'sMom

Hayden'sMom Approved members

thanks. i went and got myself all confused!!!;)

4. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

:D:D Comes with the territory!

5. aslan1994

aslan1994 Approved members

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around all this, but I think I understand the IOB will only subtract out how many units are needed if the BS is high. Like the reason the child is high is because the IOB is still working - so it would be subtracted from the correction units of insulin, not the carb covering units of insulin. However, the ping figures all the math out for me, so I don't have to subtract anything - it will automatically adjust if my dd is high. Is this right?

6. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

From page 57 of the owner's booklet:

BG below target, IOB amount is displayed and subtracted from the carb portion of the bolus.

BG within target, IOB amount is displayed for reference but not subtracted from bolus target.

BG above target, IOB is displayed and is subtracted from BG bolus.

Remember that the IOB feature must be turned on for this to work.