- advertisement -

Pumping crisis need some help

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by cgbphp, Jan 2, 2012.

1. cgbphp

cgbphp Approved members

Ok right before Christmas Hayden was running a little high so I called the Endo and they changed some basals and for the last week they have been working great numbers have never been better. Until yesterday he was a little low a couple times but nothing to terrible. Then today he has been low everytime I check him between 55 and 70. I could only get some candy in him the first time and it took me an hour to break 100 with with probably between 35 to 40 carbs.(He just turned 3 on the 30th so I have to get in what I can) I even had to give him juice in a medice dropper because he was absolutely refusing to eat or drink. The second time it was candy and pop that he would actually eat and again over an hour to get to 100. Now he is low again 56 and after a half a can of pop peanut butter and jelly sandwich he is still now after an hour and a half 135. I have had his pump suspended for an hour. I have not bolsed at all today and don't know when I should unsuspend. Any advice would be helpful. He never had a "Honey Moon" period is it possible after six months he is having one?

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Does he like honey? That helps if he's balking at eating. Do you know how to do a temp rate ? That's probably what you'd want to do overnight.

3. cgbphp

cgbphp Approved members

I just now unsuspended him he is finally 235. I didn't blous though because he goes to bed in an hour and im scared of how low he may go tonight. And as much of a battle as it has been to get him to eat and drink today he is always a bear in the middle of the night. I decresed his basals myself earlier so I am hoping that helps to.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Ok, it's good that you reduced his basals on your own, but I wouldn't want to leave him suspended now. I'd prime the tubing and then set him up on a temp rate for a few hours at maybe 80% of normal and keep testing. Chances are he's going to go up from the suspension but that isn't your fault - sometimes it's just very very unpredictable.

Good luck :cwds:

5. cgbphp

cgbphp Approved members

I did unsuspend him. And now he has decided to eat some macaroni and cheese but very little torn on whether I should bolus for it or not

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Unless he has been sick with a stomach bug and is not absorbing carbs, I'd bolus at least for half. Bolus after he has eaten and if it's fatty, as M&C often is maybe dual wave it, but I wouldn't not cover it. I know you are nervous but if you don't give any insulin for pasta and cheese and he's already 240'ish you'll end up with a nasty high at 3 am and have to give a monster correction in the middle of the night. and that's no fun :(

7. khannen

khannen Approved members

Been there. Done that! If I ever suspend for a good period of time, Shealyn starts to skyrocket form the missed basal. Add that to the fact that he is already in the 200s and you have definite potential for a stubborn high shortly.