- advertisement -

pumping at night question..

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mom24grlz, Jun 7, 2010.

1. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

we don't have a pump yet, but Ashleigh was wondering something so who better to ask then the parents at CWD.

she wants to know if someone tosses and turns a lot at night will the pump come out? Ashleigh sleeps on her back, sides, and stomach at night. she's a tosser and a turner. Also for someone who turns around so much where is the best place on her body to put the pump?

2. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

Sam wears his in his pump pouch, which is soft, has come out maybe once at night. He has never complained about it.

3. meg9901

meg9901 Approved members

In the past year and a half, my daughter's pump site has never come out at night. About half the time, she clips it to her PJ pants, and the rest of the time, it just lays in bed next to her. Regardless of where on the body the site is, or how much she moves around, we haven't seen problems with losing the site.

4. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I've used every (usual) possible site for the pump (arms, butt, thighs, abdomen, lower back) and the site has come out once overnight in 2 years of pumping. It's really not a problem, although I thought it might be before I started pumping. I use the shortest tubing available which helps stop it getting tangled around me, and just let the pump lie next to me.. I think I automatically move it out the way if I roll onto it, because it doesn't ever wake me up.

5. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

In the over 3 years my son has been on the pump, he has never had a site come out while sleeping. He's a tosser and turner too.;) He wears his pump in a pouch.
    Sometimes the tubing can get wound around the belly (we use tush sites), but it's rare. There is stuff to keep the tubing from wounding around, but we don't use it.
    To keep the site in place, just to be safe, there are clear bandages (Tegaderm is the one we use).

6. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

My DD is tosses and turns at night. The first week of pumping with a tubed pump,she lost 4 sites in her sleep. I started to suspect she might be pulling them out in her sleep as she felt tangled. Since the first month of pumping we haven't lost any sites during the night. Which confirmed to me it wasn't the sites. It was the adjustment period. I think she just needed to adjust, just like she did in the day time.

There are things you can do so secure the pump at night. My DD usually clips it to her pj bottoms. Sometimes she wears a pump pouch to bed if the clip is lost in her room.

7. blbrocky

blbrocky Approved members

My son clips it to his pjs or lays it next to him. He has had the tubing wrapped around him but has never had a site pulled out.

8. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

We were so worried about this before we got her pump. She is a WILD sleeper, rolls around, half out of bed, etc. all night. Let me tell you, it hasn't been an issue at all. She either clips it to her waist band, or, more often it just lays next to her. It has come out once in over a year-and-a-half. It was kind of funny, in retrospect, she woke up and goes, "I can't find my pump!" We were like, "WHAT???" She searched and found it under her bed!!! It wasn't out for too long, not super high, if memory serves right in the 200's, but that is the only time it has come out . . .

9. Kayeecee

Kayeecee Approved members

We use the tubless OmniPod and my daughter puts it on her belly. She moves around as much as you would expect of a 7 year old, but we've never had issues with it coming out. She sleeps on her back and both sides. Can't belly-sleep any longer, but she doesn't seem to miss it.

10. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

Aaron tucks his pump into a little baby sock and pins it to his PJ bottoms or boxers. That keeps it secure so his tubing is never pulled, but it flops around just enough that however he lies, stomach side or back, it can tuck out of the way so he doesn't have to lie on a hard lump. That's worked really well for him.

11. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Kaylee sleeps with her pump in a pump pouch.. she's a tosser too, especially when her bg is high or she has ketones, she's ALL over the place.. She's definitely a belly sleeper so we have the pump pack on her back, so when she rolls, its mostly out of the way.. but honestly, I've gone in there many times and shes right ontop of it, she doesn't even notice.

12. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Nope. Lia tosses and turns and is a very active yet uncoordinated child. No problems sleeping.

I wore it for the saline trial and I'm a very light sleeper and I toss and turn more than anyone according to everyone who has ever shared a bed with me. I had no problems with it coming undone and no problems sleeping comfortably with it.

13. mom24grlz

thank you all, it's good to know it's not likely to come detached. We were looking at pump pouches and Ashleigh already saw one she liked. It's one with peace signs on it. She loves peace signs. She also saw a shirt she wants it says 'peace, love, insulin' LOL!

14. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

My DD carries her meter in a case from Accuchek with embroidered peace signs on it. She gets compliments on it constantly. I'm on my iPhone or I would post the link. It's on their site under accessories. And it is really cheap.

15. mom24grlz

that meter case is cute. We use a one touch ultra mini though, so it wouldn't work for our meter.

16. foxa71

foxa71 Approved members

My daughter's been on the pump for a few months now. She just leaves her pump beside her in bed. She tosses and turns and it's never once come off. I've pulled it off of her once when I pulled off her blanket by accidentally grabbing the catheter with the blanket. The set was wet though from her shower and seemed it softened it. I'd be careful of blankets though.