- advertisement -

Pumping at a waterpark?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Ti'sMom, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Ti'sMom

Ti'sMom Approved members

I'm sure I'm missing a previous thread, but what preparations do you do before going to a waterpark with your pumping t1? Not sure how to go about things like suspending pump, time on/off etc. Would love to hear some feedback from those that have "been there, done that".

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son took off the pump and we left it in a container and put in the cooler. Before he took it off, he bolused for 3 hours of basal he was going to miss and repeated as necessary. Usually, he ate after 3 hours. We didn't suspend, because it makes noise after being suspended a while.

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We would store the pump (in a ziplock) in a lunchbox with an ice pack (wrapped in a towel) to keep it from overheating if the sun happened to beat down on it.

We would disconnect, then every 2 hours check BG and correct if needed (many times the activity would carry her over and only needed food bolus). Then at night when she started to rise we would increase basal. We didn't suspend, mostly because we forgot:eek: But it also would alarm if suspended and we weren't around to either hear or cancel alarm.

For storing the pump we would either have someone man the chairs at all times or we would lock pump up in a locker (always go for one in the shade). This is why the ice pack is key.

4. Stefanie S.

Stefanie S. Approved members

We suspend (pumps in cooler) and check every hour or so. Both of mine tend to run low at the water park so we usually only have to bolus for food while we're there. However the missed basal catches up with them at night. Then we have to up the basal temporarily.

5. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Question for the above posters. Where do you put your cooler/lunchbox? Does one parent keep it or do you lock it up in locker?

Mine tend to run low at a waterpark, so I would bolus for food, but at some point have to give some missed basal or we would go high hours later too.

We also have CGMs. I have left the transmitters taped to back of arms when we have done it before. Does everyone else? I have a Aquapak for cameras and it will hold a CGM receiver. I would be afraid to leave it around their neck because it might come off in a ride. Any other ideas?

Also thought of putting something from REI that floats inside the Aquapack and CGM receiver so it would float if it fell in??

6. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I would be very cautious about putting G4 in an Aquapack. Ours got a large burn-mark through it on a waterslide and the pump ended up soaked (but survived). Our sensor also pulled out the first evening, so my daughter chose to go CGMless the next day rather than risk losing the transmitter. She was great about testing and eating every 45 minutes, so it worked fine.

Waterparks are one of the reasons we decided to try Cut-the-Cord for the summer, to be able to avoid reconnecting for basal needs.

7. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I wonder how the insulin in a pod does in the heat all day. We use our Animas with water activities like kayaking all the time but it is in a spibelt under neath a swim type shirt

8. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We don't let the CGM go anywhere near the water. It stays in a Aquapack (to keep it dry) in the cooler. I don't use the aquapack in the water though, afraid to even chance it. I figure with her constantly going in and out of water it wouldn't pick up the signal anyways, so just wait until she's out and sitting still for a bit to pull it out.

We usually will put the pump/cgm in an insulated lunchbox with an icepack and then put it in a locker (in the shade) or one of us will hang out at the cooler.

9. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

I also do what most of the above posters do. We get to park around 10 and eat lunch around 12 so about 2 hours disconnected and cover for lunch. She gets checked often since she is so active.

I also strongly recommend a Dry Pak if you are nervous about leaving your child's D supplies elsewhere while you are on the waterslides. I would get very anxious as my stuff would be sitting on a chair kind of far from where we would go on the slides. I saw the workers there wearing them around their necks and knew I had to get one. I am able to hold a very small meter, strips, lancing device, glucagon and candies, but gives me much piece of mind that her stuff is on me should we ever need it. It worked out fine on the slides and nothing got wet (I did put extra ziplock bag inside just in case). I also used these on our beach trip to Florida and actually swam in the ocean and it kind of floats on top of the water. I did buy two of these as I was very happy with them.

10. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I have a friend that bought these for the water park. Where did you buy yours? I think she got hers at the waterpark.

11. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

Hi,
    I did try to find them at the waterpark as one of the workers told me they sold them there but I asked around and they didnt sell them. Right when I got home I went on Ebay and ordered. Just look for the cheapest price you can get as some sellers are a bit higher than others. I believe mine was a 5 x 8, a bit of a squeeze but everything did fit. I got a little freestyle meter since they are small and just put a few strips in a small baggie along with the rest of the stuff. The one side of the pack is blue so I face that part up around my neck so no one really sees whats inside. Also just incase keep a backup meter in your locker or car. Again I had no problem whatsoever and thought it was the greatest thing ever after almost having a panic attack and realizing everything was not on me, now I dont have to worry and can enjoy myself on the slides with my kids. I also saw them on Amazon.com and Sports Authority but they were higher priced

12. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Is this look like what you have? I already have one like this from REI(it was meant for cameras). My friends 'dry pak' was actually hard plastic and the top comes off, but makes a seal.
    http://www.overtons.com/modperl/pro...&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=3732353939&cID=SHOPPING_72599

13. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

We are going to an indoor waterpark for my daughters bday in october. Even though her pump is waterproof, I was planning on suspending it and checking her probably ever hour and give insulin as needed. Usually when we're at the park though, she dips low so I'm assuming it will be very similar in the waterpark and I'm hoping we can get away with suspending the pump while in the water.

14. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I find waterparks to be a complete nightmare. We have to check and replace missed basal every hour or so, but it's hit or miss how much we have to replace. And if he's disconnected too long, he gets ketones. It's a mess.

This will be our first summer using the Omnipod for waterparks. I hope it works better than disconnecting. It couldn't be any worse.

15. Ti'sMom

Ti'sMom Approved members

Thanks for all the posts! We were at an indoor park so the locker worked fine for pump and supplies (no shade/ice packs needed). We unhooked pump and checked every hour and a half. Also took cgm off. Today he was steady at 120 but went low for dinner. Luckily we were done swimming and just needed to pack up and head home. Dr.appt was today (took a break from the park for a bit) and she adjusted basals and I:c ratio so that didn't help with the dinner time low. I'm glad he was able to play and not feel like D was too much of an issue. ;)

16. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

Yes that is the one. The one I have is 5 x 8, the 4 x 6 may be too small so go for the 5 x 8 or bigger. The camera bag I have is similar but all clear and says camera bag. I think I know what you are talking about, I did buy a hard case one at that waterpark years ago, it was much smaller and would put my money and another small thing in it but not big enough for all of the D supplies and not as waterproof as the Dry Pak.