- advertisement -

pumping and the insulin hurts on delivery???

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kaismom, Sep 18, 2008.

1. kaismom

kaismom Approved members

Kai got a site change yesterday, it looks normal, but he is complaining of pain whenever insulin is delivered. What causes this? Should I change his site? Any tips will help.

2. MyAngelEmma

MyAngelEmma Approved members

What pump are you all using? Are you able to change the delivery speed to SLOW on his pump? Was it a particularly large bolus?

3. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

What kind of pump are you using? I have heard that the bolus delivery on the animas pumps is so fast it can hurt. People usually advise changing the delivery to slow.

I've also heard here that every once in awhile you have to "break in" a site. Something like the tissue around the cannula is tight and after a few boluses that hurt it creates a little space and doesn't hurt anymore.

We only had one cannula that seemed to hurt and we had blood sugar issues. In hind site I think we hit muscle instead of fat. We replaced it when we saw rising bgs.

4. kaismom

kaismom Approved members

thanks! we use animas 2020 with comfort short infusion sets, its possible i hit muscle the poor guy is so skinny. I need to check the manual to see if I can slow down delivery.

We've only had the normal post breakfast high so far, otherwise BS has been good.

5. MyAngelEmma

MyAngelEmma Approved members

On the animas you can go to the advanced set up screen and change the delivery speed to SLOW. See if that helps for the next bolus. Also I agree with the PP about sometimes the area below the skin needs time to adjust to the canula being there after a site change. Is this the first time this has every happened? How long has he been pumping? Sorry if I missed this in your original post...

6. Lee

Lee Approved members

I have a rule that if the site hurts, we change it right away. It does usually mean that it hit muscle, or that it did not go in right. Coco would often try and tough it out, but we always saw bad #'s, if not right away, then in a day. Plus, why have her be in pain everytime it boluses.

7. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

Once you have the pump set to slow, see if that helps. If it doesn't, then I would suspect you've hit muscle, since it's been in overnight and through a couple of boluses. Aaron finds that occasionally the first one stings, but it shouldn't continue.

8. heather

heather Approved members

Where is the site--on his belly, or his bum?

When Mark's site is on his bum, insulin delivery doesn't bother him at all. But because he's so skinny, it DOES sting when it's in his belly.

Whenever it's in his belly and he needs more than a couple units, he does a combo bolus--splits the dose 50% up front, and 50% over 6 minutes (.1 hours). He says it stings a lot less that way.