- advertisement -

Pumping and soccer

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MEVsmom, Apr 16, 2014.

1. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

My 8 yr old daughter has her pump start on Tuesday. What do other parents do for sports? What type of belt do you use to keep the pump secure and non-obtrusive?

2. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

4. Austins mom

Austins mom Approved members

my 8 yr old just clips to the inside of his shorts for soccer. It doesn't bounce that way

5. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

Any other tips about pump management during or after soccer are appreciated as well. In the fall she will have hour and a half long practices twice a week and games on the weekend, which is an increase in physical activity of that level for her.

6. glko

glko Approved members

My ds wears his Ping in a SpiBelt always but we do disconnect for soccer. I think the SpiBelt would work fine for soccer play if needed. We have 2 that I change out for washing since he wears it every day. I would probably have him tuck the belt under the waist of his shorts if he wore it. He is 10yo and practices 90min twice a week. Usually practice is right after supper so we decrease his supper bolus a bit (15-20gm uncovered CHO) and try to have his BG >140 at the start of practice. He does tend to drop about 60-70mg/dl during practice. He disconnects at the field and I carry the pump in the SpiBelt in my purse.
    We also notice that he is lower the next AM and even into lunch so generally we will reduce his breakfast bolus dose the morning after practice. With our Minnesota (non) spring the hardest part has been that practices have not been consistent. When he was playing in the dome this winter consistently 2 nights a week he was in a really pretty good pattern.

7. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

This is great info. Thank you. Of course we have been on MDI and not pumping, but we have not so much seen the lower BG during practice, but more during the night and the next day. We are in New Orleans so it is very hot for the better part of the year, although this winter has thrown us for a loop a bit. We will actually be playing indoor coming up in the next month or two which may help us ease into adjusting to exercise patterns without the heat factor. August practice in the sweltering New Orleans heat will be a true test.

8. shannong

shannong Approved members

It will be important to notice exactly what does happen to your daughter's bg during practice and games. They can be very different. Adrenaline spikes can occur in games, that will actually spike bg's, so just look out for that. In general practices, drive my son's bg lower. My son generally always stays connected to his pump and he wears a spi-belt. I usually set a temp. basal to stop lows for practices, but sometimes this can lead to highs later that I have to watch out for. I usually fully dose for food and reduce basal by -70% for the hour before and during practice. I started doing this because I found that if I reduced the bolus for food, he ended up with very high bg's because there was always a time lag between eating and actually starting to run around. If the time lag was very short ie. he was going to practice in the next 15 minutes, I would probably forget the temp basal and just reduce the bolus for food. Practices in the evening almost always means he will need a lower basal level for at least half of the night. I don't see the effect last much longer than that, unless he has been consistently practicing/playing intensely for several days in a row.