- advertisement -

Pumping and Diluted Humalog

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mamateach, Jun 27, 2011.

1. mamateach

mamateach Approved members

I have a question for all of the parents with very small children with diabetes. My daughter Lily was diagnosed at 11 months (in April) with Type 1and has been on diluted Humalog ever since. We are struggling with getting her bg in a good range and have just been approved for the Animas Ping. My understanding is that she will no longer be on diluted Humalog in the pump because it can bolus to .05 units. For those of you who transitioned from diluted Humalog to regular Humalog in the pump, what did you do for a "back up" in case the pump had problems? The diluted Humalog is not easy to get, often takes a day or two to manufacture and only lasts 28 days. I don't see how we can keep it on hand if we need it in an emergency. Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Jessica

2. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Does it still only last 28 days if it's refrigerated?

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

The major pump companies will overnight you a new pump. So in almost all circumstances, you'd only be looking at 24 hours without a pump. You could make do with Lantus and undiluted Humalog for that short period of time.

4. mamateach

Unfortunately, yes, it still expires after 28 days even if it is refrigerated.

5. Lovemyboys

Lovemyboys Approved members

We are in the exact same situation. We don't have a back-up. We've thought about it and if necessary we could probably administer roughly 0.5 units with our 1/2 unit syringes until a replacement pump came. (I feel much more comfortable doing that with a cgm so we can watch his bgs for lows.) We've also talked about getting some diluent to have on hand and mixing our own diluted insulin if it ever became necessary, but have yet to ask our endo about it.

6. melissajm

melissajm Approved members

When our Lilly was diagnosed @ 23 months we had to dilute the humalog ourselves because there wasn't a pharmacy around us that would take on the responsibility. I would suggest having diluent on hand and having your endo. or CDE teach you how to dilute it yourself in case of a pump failure.

7. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Wow, my thoughts exactly. We diluted my son's insulin 10:1 when he was three. I did it for a couple of years. It isn't all that hard to do. You can whip some up when you need it.

8. mamateach

I had no idea...

you could dilute Humalog yourself. My endos have acted like it is a sacred act that could only be performed under a sterile hood at a compounding pharmacy. LOL We have an appointment with our CDE Wednesday and I have been having problems with her trying to tell me that Lily must be taking over 5 units of diluted insulin before they would put her on the pump. This totally goes against the advice from the Endo fellows who told us to get her on the pump as soon as possible in order to get her off of the diluted insulin. Just frustrated and looking for advice as to how others have gotten around this. Thanks so much for your input!