- advertisement -

Pumping and Daylight Savings Time

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lorraine, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Lorraine

Lorraine Approved members

Hi there. I am wondering how pumpers approach the change in clocks? My son has a very variable basal program and I'm trying to decide what to do. I'm considering changing the time on his pump and seeing what happens, or perhaps changing the time on the pump and shifting his whole basal program an hour and then gradually adjust it as he adapts to the change.

What works for you?
    Lorraine

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Remember that Daylight savings doesn't end until the first weekend in November.

On the Saturday of the time change, I just change the time on the pump when my son goes to bed. The difference in the insulin won't be enough to affect the blood sugar very much. With the pump, it is quite easy to correct any out of range sugars.

3. Nana

Nana Approved members

I just change the time on my pump when I wake up.

4. Mom2Madi

Mom2Madi Guest

I change the time on my daughter's pump the night before Daylight Savings Time goes into effect. I look at her basals and find one where she stays the same for several hours and change it there.

5. LJS118

LJS118 Approved members

i just change the time on the pump as well...if the basals needed to be changed i would do that...but not right away, maybe after a few days.

6. game2fun

game2fun Approved members

I'm like everyone else here. I just change the pumps clock when I go to bed. I haven't found it to ever be a problem. Her body rythyms ending up catching up soon and we've never experienced any problems. Pumping 2 yrs now, so not a long time but we've gone thru a few time changes.

But if concerned, you could always call the pump company and just speak w/ someone. I'm sure they've gotten this question many times, or your CDE.

7. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

Why don't you change the time in the middle of the night? If you still have him on .05 for most of the night, changing the time then should be okay, right?

I didn't even think about this...but I probably will change Bethany in the AM as she is on .05 from 11PM to 12PM (the following day).

8. Lorraine

Lorraine Approved members

Thanks all.

My conern is more about the immediate days following the time change - for example - there is an evening hour that Caleb requires .55 units of basal. There is no other hour in his basal program even close to that - most are .20/.25 and several .05. So I'm just trying to get a sense if people ever see an issue with the body catching up to the time change. It's taken us so long to get his basal schedule down that I'm a little anxious about messing with it and everything going haywire!

9. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

I hear you there...Bethany peaks at .50 at 9P. I'm trying not to worry about it now...it's a long way away in the diabetes world! There are so many things that can happen with her basals until then.

10. jeep_bluetj

jeep_bluetj Approved members

We change the pump/meters when we remember it.

It's also a great time to change the batteries in your smoke detectors.

And your lancets... :)

11. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

YEAH I can do that! ROFLOL