- advertisement -

Pumpers who switched to Omnipod

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Beach bum, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I'm watching the video about insertion. Am I correct in assuming that the cannula is stored inside the unit? Once it is put on and you press the button on the PDM it then inserts?

Do the pod insertions feel about the same as a regular pump set insertion? I figure they are pretty close.

2. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

I can't tell you how it feels but yes the cannula is stored in the pod until you tell the PDM to insert - there are a few loud clicks that she hates right before it does it.

3. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Do you use the insets/mios? If so it is exactly the same feeling. Maybe even a briefer pinch.

There is a loud click that might be a bit upsetting (sorry I don't know how old your daughter is). It might help to let her listen to music while you are putting the first one on so she isn't surprised by the loud click.

4. Beach bum

Good to know. She's almost 12, but I can see the click making her anxious. We just had our first successful no anxiety sensor change this week. It was the click that bugged her. We currently use Insets, which is only a slight muffled click.

5. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

Mine's 17 and she hates the clicks. She'll put the TV on or some distraction when she does a pod change most of the time. The other thing she hates about the clicks is they don't always seem to be the same, so you never quite know when it's going in.

6. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I believe the insets are similar to the mios which I often use. The omnipod clicks are much louder and shocking then the mio click. It might be best to stick the TV on, play music, or maybe pick out a youtube video to watch.

Edited:
    Sorry just reread that and realized I am making it seem scary. It really is totally fine and doesn't really hurt. Yeah, the clicks are loud but it is over quickly. I think some sort of distraction might make your first insertion go more smoothly but I am sure she will be fine either way...

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  7. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

Hanna says it feels the same as mios. She thinks the click of the pod is quicker, I think it's louder but she says that doesn't bother her. She doesn't like the springy sound the mios make.

8. Beach bum

No, you didn't make it scary at all! I'm happy you are honest about it. It seems for kids, the click noise is the most unnerving, so it helps to know this.

9. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

Grace is 12 and just started the omnipod. She does listen to the clicks and gets a little nervous, but she loves the fact that it inserts it by itself so she doesn't have to get up the courage to put it in on her own.