- advertisement -

Pump with apidra?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by samson, May 24, 2016.

1. samson

samson Approved members

I'm wondering if any folks use Apidra in a pump and what they're experiences have been. Is it prone to more bubbles/occlusions, and do you find it works faster than other insulins? We're using Humalog, and because my son is honeymooning, there are some days where it works great to control his BG, and other days when it's clear it's just too slow to catch the spike. But I am guessing there's a reason our doctor started us on it...maybe it's the one demonstrated to be safest for kids? Ours is a toddler so pretty young, not sure if Apidra is an option for him.

2. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

We switched to apidra about 6 months in and love it. For us, its a solid 1/2 hour quicker. Brings her down quicker, catches the spikes quicker. Helped SO MCUH with the breakfast spikes. So great for her being little (was 3 at the time) when the pre blousing wasn't much of an option due to random eating patterns.

3. mocha

mocha Approved members

I've used Humalog, Novolog, and Apidra. I find Apidra to be in and out of my system a bit faster (starts working about 15-20 minutes faster for me) than the other two. I don't really notice any difference with bubbles or occlusions between the three. Apidra is a bit more sensitive to heat, so precautions may be needed (I try to use a Frio pouch on hot days when I'm out & about all day, anyway).

The only caution I have is that Apidra does NOT play well with the Tslim pump. The cartridges are pressurized for the Tslim, which for some reason, causes more occlusions. There are quite a few people who have noticed this phenomenon, and have documented it on their blogs.

4. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

My daughter uses Apidra in her OmniPod pump. Seems to work better than Humalog and Novolog did. I have also heard that Apidra in a t-slim pump is a no-go, however...

5. Mish

Mish Approved members

been using apidra in my son's pump (minimed) for years. No issues.

6. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

it took us a few tries to get Apidrs down and finally did not turn back mybold ed t was dx over 10 years ago. when Apidra was fda approved forvpediatric use we switched. we tried twice but our 3rd time when we where on cgm we where able to stick eith it.

for us it definately has a faster and stronger peak then Novolog, working within 15 minutes and peaking by 1.5 hours. we have mostly been on Animas pump but did do 6 monghs with the pod.

i do find it more tempermental to heat. we try not to have isulin older than 3 days when it is hot, as it tends to wesken.

while we had issues changing over from Novolg to Apidra eith my oldest, i t is the olny insulin my youngest has ever used.

7. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I pumped Apidra for about 5 years with no major issues... my insurance made it harder to get (requiring prior Auth for EVERY SINGLE REFILL) and I finally relented and went back to Humalog. Now that I'm on the t:slim Apidra isn't an option, but I loved it while I used it :)