- advertisement -

Pump users who have CHANGED!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Nancy in VA, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

The biggest reason I'm concerned about the charging is that we are constantly forgetting to charge the Dexcom and only end up charging when it gets to red alert!!

Emma will definitely be the deciding factor on remote on not - she uses it all the time and does wear dresses and leotards - she wears her pump in a pump belt. But, she's at the age that I would love to move her towards a clip on her waistband or in a pocket. She definitely still wants her diabetes to be private and doesn't like attention called to it, so we want an option that will preserve that too!

2. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

I received an ad for the Accu-Chek combo in an email today. They're offering a $2000 rebate, as a credit to your account. Certainly makes this pump appealing.

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

does that include the $500 in supplies if you purchase a Dexcom within 60days?

4. Michelle'sMom

There's no mention of Dexcom that I can see.

5. Michelle'sMom

6. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Mary- you mentioned a Vera Bradley case your daughter uses to carry her t:slim and Dexcom together - what carrier is it? Emma is liking the t:slim. I'm gonna have her sleep on it, but she really liked the button pushing and the touch screen and is willing to give up the remote for it. I liked the insulin "cartridge", although I'm hesitant to call it that. Insulin pouch, I guess. And it loads with a routine syringe, just like you'd use for an injection. There was a lot I liked about the t:slim and she liked it so it looks like that's the way we're heading.

7. bluedevils_fan

bluedevils_fan Approved members

My son has been pumping with the T-Slim since the end of February. He was previously on the Ping until it died two years after warranty. For those concerned about charging the T-Slim, you don't have to disconnect to charge it. It comes with one cord/cable and then you connect that to either the car charger piece or the electrical outlet piece or you can just plug it into your computer through the usb and charge it while on the computer. My son would let his Ping battery completely die and we'd be out of batteries because he was also grabbing extras to keep with him and then would lose them. Those lithium batteries are expensive!

Right now he keeps his charger in the bathroom and plugs it in while he showers every morning. I've also discovered that my cell phone charger for my car will work on his pump too so we "shouldn't" have to worry about being somewhere with no way to charge it if he does forget.

Not having the negative correction until you are less than 70 isn't a problem for us as he is a growing teen so he'd rather eat to bring up his BG although we don't necessarily consider 70 "low" unless he is dropping or has IOB.

The only negative we have found so far is the ridiculous amount of time it takes to fill tubing or for the actual bolus. It sends the insulin in what I call "pulses". When you are in a hurry to get the tubing filled it seems like time stands still. The PLUS side of the slow delivery is that he says it never hurts to bolus with the T-Slim - even with large boluses. The Ping did hurt when he bolused through a brand new site or if it was a large bolus. On the Ping he finally figured out to do a combo over 10-15 minutes so it wouldn't hurt.

All in all, he and I both love the T-Slim. The rep told us that they are working to have the Dex integrated but that he couldn't give any timeframe for that - at least he was honest. We don't CGM yet anyway so not being integrated wasn't going to make or break our decision. Like a previous poster said, we played with the T-Slim for about five minutes and were completely sold. The rep didn't have to work at all to help us make that decision! Probably the easiest sell he's ever had.

8. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I don't recall it loading with a "regular syringe"???? maybe you can with a short needle syringe, but when we had it it came with a large barrel luer lock filling syringe. I honestly can not remember if it was packaged with the cartridge or if it was a separate item.

9. Mom2CNC

Mom2CNC Approved members

Thanks for the thread- my warranty goes up in December for my Ping, 6 months later for my daughter. I too am looking at switching and I am most interested in the T-Slim. Less reloading of cartridges is very enticing. I never use my remote but DD does. She's not crazy about pulling out her pump in public but she is getting over it. We don't use a CGM at this point but maybe someday.

I do worry about that pig tail, does that get in the way while sleeping? I put my pump next to me & roll all over it... is that an issue for anyone? I've seen a few complaints about that.

My biggest negative with Animas is the customer service/billing. They have not been pleasant to deal with. And we are a 2-pump family. I wouldn't switch just because of that, but it makes me wonder how T- Slim is to work with? Ordering supplies & billing?

10. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

“In February 2013, Roche and Dexcom terminated the development to integrate the G4 with our Accu-Chek insulin delivery system. Roche is committed to a CGM solution as soon as possible. Roche decided to focus on our own internal CGM solution, which is the next step on our strategic path of providing integrated diabetes management solutions for our customers.”

11. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

PHP:
    Funny, I was just offered the 500 credit if we had a Dexcom purchase within 60 days, could not take them up on it because going directly thru Accu Chek is out of network for us and would spend an extra 1300. Literally this just happened a couple of days ago.

I would not say that Accu Check is advertising intregrTion at all, just a partnership.

12. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

I agree with just about everything here. My daughter can charge while playing Webkinz on the computer so it's really easy to keep the charge up. Worst case, we charge when she showers. Charging during car rides is so easy, too.

The correction to 70 is a completely non-issue for us. Her target is 90 so we make no adjustments to the recommendations and just go on with life. Odds of nothing else happening in the next 4 hours while that insulin is on board are low so I'm not seeing issues 4 hours later that I can blame on the correction.

For us, the slow priming isn't an issue at all. Typically, we change in the evening and we're either chatting or watching tv so I change the cartridge, attach the tubing, start it, then go on with life. I glance at it periodically and when it's full, I stop it. Totally worth it for the slow boluses. As DD is getting larger doses, we don't have that old issue of tunneling because the slow delivery seems to eliminate it.

13. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

It's the Zip ID case. For some reason she hasn't actually worn it in the case together though. She really likes it just in her pocket. I keep forgetting to get her to try wearing them together. Someone on the Facebook Tslim group has a box full of them that she uses. She charges daily while in the shower, no big deal at all to do so and that keeps it at almost 100 percent all of the time. The last two changes I have filled the cartridge all of the way, and used it for 6 days. It saves a bit of time, but really the cartridge fill is only a couple of minutes. It's been a couple of weeks now, but Melissa keeps saying how much she loves this pump. It's a whole lot of little things really, that just make it so easy. I am so glad that we changed just before her move, because I know that this pump will be much easier for me to teach her staff than any other pump would have been.

14. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

seriously why is it taking so long for animas to partner with dexcom to make it integrated?

last time we got new pump, animas was almost integrated with dexcom. still 4 yrs later nothing!

15. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

We have our Vibe... they are out there.. its just the FDA I think..

16. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

So, Isaac has been pumping with MM for four years - it is time for a change and honestly the only factor we've never liked about the MM is the lack of a good remote. Which makes the animas ping more appealing to us. He is 6 so if we do this change now he'd have the animas until he's 10...do you guys feel like from 6-10 a remote is still useful?

17. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Yes, I would stick with the Ping if the vibe came out in the us and just keep the standalone receiver. Especially if the Dexcom Share ever comes out. The benefit of a remote has been very nice, and a reason we are considering the Accu-chek Combo with a fully functioning remote, with the added benefit of a larger insulin cartridge.

18. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Jack started bolusing himself (with our direction/supervision) at around age 8. At that point, the remote would have become worthless to us.

Get ahold of the Ping and play with it before you try it. Personally, I think it would be hard to go from the MM to the Ping, because of the menus and excessive button pushing, although there are people who have happily done so.

19. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

For us there are Soo ooh many times that we are bolus our dd. She will test and cover for a certain amount but then we will just get close enough to bolus. Or at night my DD has a loft bed and I am short, I would have to climb up there to bolus her.invaluable in the car on trips when her bg gets wacky. Let alone movie theaters or sleepovers, or class parties.

I actually Have e never touched the MM so take it with a grain of salt.

20. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I do, yes. My son was a teen when he started using the Ping and he rarely used the remote but for ages 6-10 I think it would really make life easier. Even if/when he begins to bolus himself, not having to dig out the pump and such is nice. We had a good run with our Animas Ping, other than cartridge size I had no complaints or issue so I can easily recommend it.