- advertisement -

Pump users who have CHANGED!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Nancy in VA, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Emma has been on the Animas 2020 and then the Animas ping since she started pumping in Sept 2007 - 6 months after diagnosis. We are long out of warranty but the pump has been working, so we haven't bothered to worry. But now her screen is starting to peel so we called to get a new one. Nurse recommended that we come to their pump night and look at the pumps again, just to make sure that this is the pump we want to stick with.

We like the Ping. We REALLY like the meter that can operate the pump. She rarely pulls it out because of that, and easily wears it under a leotard in dance class or under dresses, etc.

She grimaced when I mentioned the POD - doesn't seem to have any interest in that. She also said she'd rather not change infusion sets to one that might hurt more, but from what I understand, we shouldn't have to change regardless of which tubed pump we went with.

So, has anyone here changed FROM the Ping to a pump and if so, why?
    Has anyone moved from another pump to the t:slim. I saw someone with it recently and it LOOKED neat - I don't know how it operates.

We don't mind the button pushing with the Animas, so I doubt that's a show stopper. But the ability to set different ISFs at different times of day is critical - how many different time periods of basal rates she can have will be important (hers changes all daggone day). The IOB calculation should work pretty close to the Animas as that is working for us very well. We rarely to never use a combo bolus - even on pasta or pizza, so how those work won't be a big consideration for us.

We use the G4 and potential future integration is always a bonus but not a showstopper since who knows when that will happen.

So, calling experienced pumpers who changed, or considered changing, and wanted to know what you thought. We go to pump night in 2 weeks to look at them!

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

We ordered the t:slim but then sent it back before we were ever trained on it. I could not get over the fact that it does not reverse correct back to target. What the heck is the point of setting a target if the pump won't help do the math between target and 70? I also could not stand the cartridge piggy tail! We use Apidra and you can not use Apidra in the t:slim it gets occlusions.

We did the Omnipod for a good 6 months but she had an increasing A1C and I blame the strips issue that has now come to light. She is enjoying being able to take the pump off again compared to the POD's ever presents.

I am actually in the process of getting insurance verification on the Accu chek combo pump. It seems to have some great features and only a few draw backs, but ones that we can deal with. It is very comparable to the Animas PING as a system. They too are partnering with Dexcom.

3. Ali

Ali Approved members

Check on the Apidra. I had read that also but have since heard mixed reports. If you are interested in this pump and use Apidra you might check on this issue. I have used the Medtronic pumps and pods. Prefer medtronic for daily use and the Pods for vacation beach use. I will look at the T slim when I am able to switch in a few years. At this point I want the integration of pump and CGMS so have been sticking with Medtronics. I do keep being tempted by the Dex accuracy but really dislike carrying multiple devices.

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We switched to the t:slim after 5 years on the MM. It's just nicer. The menus are ridiculously intuitive, it's got a bunch of neat little features, and it looks and feels like new technology, as opposed to something from 1985.

You can set different ISFs, different targets, different ratios, and different basals not only for different times of the day, but you can have different patterns that vary all of them. The IOB calculation seems similar to MM's, which is similar to Animas', so I think you'd be fine with it. I'd get ahold of one and at least play with it if I were you. It took me about 5 minutes to be sold.

5. Nancy in VA

when you say it doesn't reverse target, do you mean that if she is LOW, it won't reduce the bolus to get her back to target? I wasn't sure if that's what you meant or not, but this sounds like something I wouldn't enjoy either, so I wanted to make sure I understood what you were saying

6. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

My son switched from the Ping to Tslim, primary reason was for larger cartridge size, other than that we had zero issues with Animas.
    Teenage boy using ~100 units a day, it was time to switch. Had to stop using Apidra and go back to Novolog, which is the primary negative for Tslim. Other than that customer service is beyond excellent, use is intuitive, no problems at all.

About the lack of negative bolus, that's a non issue for my son, he does it in his head anyway, didn't use that feature on the Ping. He doesn't use lots of pump features though, prefers to figure things in his head. He's a teenager, and much superior that way. :tongue::angel::angel:

7. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

if she is 69 or below it will knock off insulin using the ISF. But if she is between 70 and target it will not, basically ignoring your target. There are plenty of times that she is below the school target of 123 when she tests and as long as she is above 75 we do not 'treat and retest', we just let the pump do its thing and knock off insulin.

There have been a few people that I know that have not gone with t:slim because of this, and there are others that have never used the reverse correction much and just have a way that they treat a lower than target number by knocking of a certain amount of carbs from the bolus, but that is not how we do it nd I did not think that it was a way that I wanted to change to.

8. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Does it not account for IOB if you are over 70 or only just not reverse correct? Medtronic has this weird quirk (at least I see it that way....) where it will not reduce a food bolus based on correction IOB. So if I correct for a 160 with .6 units and then 20 minutes later test and I am 100 (target) and bolus for 20 carbs (1:25 ratio) it will give me .8 units instead of the .2 (.8-.6 IOB) that I actually need. Is Animas different? I don't mind the lack of reverse correction (but can see how it would be an issue with a young child) since I usually just knock off 5-10 carbs but the not accounting for IOB if over 70 would annoy me greatly.

9. Don

Don Approved members

Given how much you like the remote feature, you might like the Accu-chek but what are the chances you will see it at the pump night? The pump unit is larger (holds 315u) but the remote can set temp basals. Otoh Animas is going to integrate with Dexcom sooner.

10. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

It is possible she will be starting puberty before her next pump warranty is up. 200 units does not really go very far during puberty. Depending on your tolerance for frequently changing out cartridges that might be something to consider. It may be worth ordering a sample pod just for her to try it out (but I would go through cut the cord not insurance for that anyway).

In terms of the accu chek combo, while the remote is awesome, the pump itself does not have a bolus wizard which is another thing to keep in mind. But if you never bolus from the pump that wouldn't really matter.

I don't really see any advantage to the Medtronic for you. It has the larger reservoir and less button pushing than Animas but if you are not using the integrated CGM it has no advantage over the tslim. And you would lose the remote without gaining much.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  11. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

RE t:slim
    hawkeyegirl would be the best person to address this since she is currently using it with her son.

I just can not remember that well from when I was trialing it. But I know what you mean, Omnipod had the same sort of thing regarding the difference between meal and correction IOB, I did not like to too much, but I think the Accu check combo is similar so I will have to deal with it.

RE Accu Chek
    yes the pump does not have a bolus calculator but the remote is supper nice and fully functional, tons of graphs and charts to "see" the data stored without downloading to a computer. It will not lose connection during a bolus, yippee.

I compared the Animas Ping and the Accu chek combo side by side and they are basically the same exact size, while the Accu check is rather plain they do have a few different choices for skins and cases the much bigger reservoir will be great for puberty.

I actually think that accu chek might be the first to intergrate to the remote rather than the pump, which maybe a great option, not unless they get it on the new pump being release in the UK, that looks pretty sleek. here it is in Germany I think the name of the pump will lend itself well to CGM integration: Insight

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  12. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

We've switched a few times - twice to other pumps and once to MDI. For us, it was because the prior system wasn't working as well as another system would.

We switched to MDI because DD hated pumping. Site changes were absolutely terrible and that was enough to convince her to avoid Medtronic in the future, even years later.

We switched to OmniPod because DS wanted a pump and it convinced DD to give it another try. When we met with the various reps, it was the winner in both kids' minds.

We switched DD to T:Slim because of the issues we were having with the OmniPods. With her insulin needs, the small reservoir would be an issue now anyways. DS sometimes gets 3 days but not always so I'm expecting it to be more of an issue eventually. I would love for DS to switch but tubeless is his number one priority so it remains the only option right now. The only tubed pump he has ever expressed an interest in was the Ping so we'll probably look at it once the Vibe is available.

For us, needs and wants change so we change to get a better fit :)

13. Nancy in VA

Thanks for the tips. The negative correction would be an issue with us, because if she is low before a meal, we ALWAYS negative correct, we never treat. It has to be 30 or more minutes before she's eating for us to correct.

I'll still look at the TSlim to see if the positives outweigh that negative. Losing the remote will be big - even Emma uses that almost exclusively - we wish we could fill the cannula and do a temp basal from it and we'd never take the pump out!!

She may start puberty, but barely. I was a late bloomer and my oldest was as well - she didn't get her period until end of her 8th grade year (Emma is 3rd grade right now). so, if she hits puberty, I don't expect to have to deal with YEARS of a low cartridge issue. She has started using more insulin, so now instead of only filling it 120 units, we are actually filling it the entire 200 (or 180) which gets us 5-6 days on a cartridge.

14. Nancy in VA

OK, I just saw the t:slim add running on the page. Someone tell me about the "rechargeable battery". I have a love/hate relationship with rechargeable batteries. Will it take regular AA or whatever kind of batteries that it uses.

I don't mind the Dexcom being rechargeable but if I have to deal with rechargeable with t:slim, that may be a game changer.

15. RomeoEcho

RomeoEcho Approved members

I didn't have a ping, but I went from an animas 1200 to medtronic 722 to Animas 2020 and now Tslim. I've had some issues with occlusions with the Tslim but it is now looking like it might have been isolated to a batch of infusion sets. Otherwise I am very happy with it.

The battery is built in, like dexcom, and uses the same cable as dexcom. It was a deal breaker for me for a long time. I'm still not really used to the charging routine, but it's not nearly as big of a deal as I thought it would be. There are situations where I am away from electricity for more than a week (though most people never are) and for those times I am hanging on to the last animas and I also carry one of those tiny batteries that people usually have for recharging cell phones. Combined with one of these, I can charge any of my medical or non medical gadgets on the run: http://www.amazon.com/Exclusives®-R...qid=1395923949&sr=8-6&keywords=3in1+usb+cable

16. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

No, it's only rechargeable, which is why it's lighter/slimmer. You plug it in during a shower and are topped off quickly. It's really no big deal, and very quick. Charge can last a week or you can do it daily.

For the negative bolus thing, maybe it's because my son chooses not to even enter carbs, but it's really been simple just to mentally knock off a few carbs before a meal. He doesn't treat at meal time either, but he'll mentally knock 10 carbs off his meal if he's low. For me personally there are so many variables in it that I can't quite see trusting the pump fully and would need to factor things fully anyway. But that's likely because that's how he's always done it (looking at the meal itself, activity, how low he is, etc).

I can see it being a big issue for a younger child, particularly if school staff are the ones making decisions.

17. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Nancy, There are many former Animas users posting on the Tslim Facebook group. Melissa will be starting on her Tslim tomorrow. All of the questions that you have asked can be found by reading that group's posts. It is a closed group, but they will admit you quickly. You actually have to see one in person to really get how much smaller it is, and really play with it to see just how user friendly it is. The Vera Bradley ID case that Melissa uses to carry her Dex is large enough for both of them. Some people charge it just once a week, and others just plug it in while they shower. It loses 10% battery per day which isn't bad at all.
    One other comment that I wanted to make because someone commented about the Dex integration, is that no one knows which pump is going to be approved by the FDA first to link up with the Dexcom. Just because something has been submitted doesn't mean that it is sure to be approved. It would be great during the day, but at night my daughter would still need a stand alone receiver.

18. Nancy in VA

Thanks Mary - I know we'll see the t:slim in 2 weeks, and I actually saw someone wearing it at JDRF Gov't Day a couple of weeks ago. That's the main reason I'm even looking at it - it is small and nice looking.

I recently saw a photo of the "integrated Animas vibe" and the graphs on the screen look great. I know its not integrating with the meter, but does anyone know if the integrated Animas / Dexom will ALSO have an external receiver (kinda like the Minimed guardian) or will it ONLY be on the pump? I know we're not there yet, and for all I know, Emma will be off to college before the integration will be approved, so parental management will be moot, but I still want to make sure I know what my options are. She completely manages her Dexcom during the day, as well as all of her readings and dosings - but we still take the receiver at night. Frankly she does everything but insert her sites (pump and Dexcom) and respond to alarms overnight.

19. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

to my knowledge you will still be able to use the stand alone receivers of Dexcom with the Vibe, I think someone from NZ verified at one time.

20. lmf1122

lmf1122 Approved members

We switched from the Ping to t:slim in August and have been very happy with the decision.

DD was very hesitant to switch, but once the rep came out to show us the t:slim and she got to play with it, she ended up really wanting it.

I was also a little hesitant because we had to switch from Apidra to Novolog, but honestly her BGs have been so much better since swithcing. I don't know if it's the insulin or the way that the t:slim calculates or delivers insulin or if it's just luck, but we have seen much fewer low lows and much fewer high highs since starting the t:slim and her A1c dropped over 0.5%. It does subtract insulin if BG is under 70, but not if it's between 70 and target. I compensate by subtracting a couple carbs from the bolus if I feel I need to.

My main reason for wanting to switch was the cartridge size, but I also never really liked the OneTouch blue strips or having to scroll up to enter BG and carbs. We missed the remote a little bit when we switched, but it hasn't been a big deal at all. DD never took the Ping remote to school anyway and is now doing most boluses at home on her own as well, so it's just as easy for her to pull out the pump.

We tried the Omnipod very briefly (the old, bigger pods) a few years ago through the Cut the Cord Program and neither of us liked it at all. She didn't even last a full day on it.

Charging the t:slim has not been a problem. A full charge will last well over a week. We usually charge it while she's showering, but if I forget for a few days, I charge it while she's asleep, before I go to sleep. It doesn't take long at all to charge.